Chapter 5: The Helpful Giant Skeletons

After breakfast was eaten, everyone got ready to head out. Papyrus and Blue were excitedly discussing what a village of Bitties looked like, while Stretch and Sans idly through puns nearby to their brother's dismay. When they were done Blue ran over and offered a hand for me to climb on, but before I was able to do so Papyrus cried out- "WAIT! CAN I CARRY [Y/N] THIS TIME!?"

"HUH?" was Blue's bewildered response, but he quickly recovered and smiled at Papyrus, "SURE THING PAPYRUS, BUT UH... YOU SHOULD PROBABLY BE ASKING [Y/N] THAT, NOT ME."

Papyrus turns his attention toward me, with hopeful eye(socket?)s, "[Y/N]! MAY I CARRY YOU PLEASE?"

"Um," I hesitated, Papyrus, just like Blue, had been one of the ones who have been super nice to me from the beginning, and I want to try trusting him...

"Sure..." I slowly reply.

Papyrus squealed, like actually squealed! How does a giant skeleton do that!? But I don't have long to dwell on it as a Papyrus lays his hand down in front of me, practically vibrating in anticipation. I carefully climb up, minding my injuries, and sit down into the palm of his hand. Suddenly I'm hit with a serious case of vertigo, as he raises his hand to be eyelevel with him.

"DON'T WORRY LITTLE BITTY," Papyrus reassures, "I'LL MAKE SURE YOU WON'T FALL."

After recovering from the sudden movement I give a small smile and respond, "O-Okay... I trust you."

This made Papyrus smile even brighter. Edge and Razz both roll their eyelights at the sight. Edge complaining, "NOW IF YOU TWO ARE QUITE FINISHED CAN WE GO NOW? OR DO YOU PLAN ON STAYING HERE FOR THE REST OF THE DAY?"

"What!? No!" I exclaim, "Look, you all have been very nice, and I do appreciate you helping me, especially you Blue, but I can't just leave my people."

Papyrus smiled sadly, "WE KNOW [Y/N], WE WOULDN'T MAKE YOU STAY IF YOU DIDN'T WANT TO."

"BUT YOU ARE ALWAYS FREE TO VISIT!" Blue interjects, "MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU CAN TRY MY FAMOUS TACOS!"

"What's a taco?" I ask.

"YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO SEE. MWEH HEH HEH!" Blue said smugly.

With that everyone makes their way outside and towards the forest that borders their backyard. As they were making their way into the forest, I realized something.

"Wait!" I shout, and everyone stops immediately.

"WHAT'S THE MATTER [Y/N]?" Papyrus asks with worry, "IS SOMETHING WRONG?"

"I... I just realized that a good chunk of the day has already gone by and I have nothing to bring back for the village to eat." I clarify.

"but weren't you gathering food for them yesterday?" Sans asks.

"Yes, but that was just for that day," I explain, "I don't even know if the food made it to the village last night, plus with my injuries, I'm not sure when I'll be able to go out to collect more."

"and you're the only one brave enough to do it..." Slim adds.

"WAIT," Razz interrupts, "I THOUGHT YOU SAID THERE WAS SOMEONE WITH YOU LAST TIME?"

"Yes, Alvin." I answer, "But like I said before, he's just a kid, and yesterday was his first time outside the village. He doesn't know all the ropes yet, and I don't even know if he had made it back at all. For all I know he could've been attacked by another predator, or got lost in the dark, or-"

"whoa, whoa, calm down honeybun." Stretch interrupts before I could spiral further, "no need to work yourself up over something that might not be true."