☀️10

Burning.

The scorching sensation crawled under her skin, leaving a trail of blisters. She could barely open her eyes from the smoke and tears causing her eyes to burn. The blood which pooled beneath her felt as if it were boiling. 

The haunting image of her father had her running outside the burning house. There, she saw her brother crawling away from their assailant. His scared eyes met hers and she knew exactly want came next.

Her brother loved to show off after all. He kept his promise of always protecting her.

"I want to live forever."

Live.

Is life really worth living?

The scene dissolved into a windy rooftop. The busy hospital below would never suspect her to jump. Once she does, there would be panic momentarily to try to save her.

Can they mind their own business and let her die?

She was still burning.

She took one foot off the ledge, accepting defeat.

A cold hand on her cheek pulled her from her dream with a slight jolt. It took her a couple of seconds to register who sat on her bed. She grabbed his hand, fearful he might slip away again.

Again?

"If you're going to kill me for waking you, give me like five minutes to justify it. Before I do that, you need to change because you're drowning in your own sweat." Jaemin carefully reasoned.

Yuki shook her head before turning over to her side. Her scarred skin glistened with a layer of sweat as her body tried its best to cool her. "It's fine. I needed that."

Jaemin rummaged through her drawer to grab a top and towel for her before leaving the room. Yuki laid still for a couple of more minutes before forcing herself up to change.

She examined the fading bruises and scars on her body before pulling a hoodie over her head. People didn't have to see that. She joined Jaemin who was busy fixing her fridge outside.

"So why are you here again?" Yuki asked, grabbing an orange from the box. She peeled it and fed him a piece before getting ready for today's agenda.

"A friend of Stitch dropped by to give some groceries but you weren't picking up so he called me over. I was fixing the groceries when I heard you apologizing for whatever and it looked like you weren't having a great time." Jaemin explained.

Yuki mumbled her thanks as she checked through her email. She reviewed a couple of documents sent by an investigator she knew, hoping to find any major leads on the murderer. She needed to arrange a meeting with him.

"Do you still have leftover glitter from that one project you helped Jisung with? I might need it for a job later." She asked, tearing her eyes away from the laptop.

"Aren't you rusty to be playing cat and mouse again?" Jaemin teased. He caught the pillow thrown at him and tossed it aside. "Check my drawers. If it's not there give the kid a ring." 

"I'm leaving now. Take whatever you want and lock up when you're done. I'm heading to the café now." Yuki announced as she put her shoes on.

Jaemin nodded, returning to his original task of arranging the groceries. "Call me if you need help."

"Also, the orphanage is having a carwash fundraiser. I already told Yeona you're going so you can't bail." Yuki could hear his rebuttal as she ran out of her apartment. She didn't want to hear rapping that early in her day.