☀️9

The first thing Yuki noticed when she walked into the cozy café was someone who didn't belong behind the counter. The two older men were nowhere to be seen which made it even more suspicious. She made her way to the staff room to put her bag away and clock-in before joining Renjun behind the counter.

"Aren't you supposed to be seated at a table? Where's handsome one and handsome two?" Yuki questioned.

"Taeyong just asked me to cover for a month. Jaehyun fractured his wrist earlier, but I heard it wasn't that bad." Renjun answered as he handed Yuki her apron. She muttered a quiet thanks before starting her usual routine.

She began refilling toppings and cutting fruit. She didn't hide her frustration when her bangs kept getting in her way. She was in a rush to get here and forgot her headband and clips on her way out.

"You know, Donghyuck is so weird. He's such an asshole and so full of himself that him being nice for a second caught me off-guard. I'm seriously considering dropping that class." Yuki opened. "All cringe with the sunshine thing. I mean, if we were close I'd consider it."

Renjun tensed at the information. He wanted to give his friend the benefit of doubt as he wanted to avoid confronting him. Donghyuck wasn't even supposed to be at school a far as he knew. "He has his issues. Just tell me if something weird happens."

The sound of the entrance bell chiming alerted the pair, prompting them to greet the customer. Yuki gestured for Renjun to take care of it as she went to restock their plastic cups.

"Oh, it's you. What would you like?"

"Iced Americano and a green tea cake."

He really liked green tea cakes too.

Yuki glanced at the customer, his mask and beanie making it hard to see his face. She wondered if he was a celebrity with how heavy his disguise is. She shrugged it off and continued her task.

Rush hour had the café filled in no time. Renjun tried his best to keep up with Yuki who didn't seem to be fazed at the amount of orders. He apologized at every chance he could, but he still felt like a burden to her.

"It's your first day. Stop beating yourself up or I will." Yuki's assurance sounded more like a threat, but he decided to take it as the former. He knew she would actually fight him.

"I'd like to see you do it without your knife." Renjun quietly remarked. He heard her scoff as she she left to clean another table. "You might wipe the table out of existence if you go that hard."

It took everything in Yuki not to flip him off in front of all the customers. He noticed the growing tear in her gray hoodie. It was bigger than the first time he saw it in class, making him wonder if it really was part of the design or it was wearing out.

"Excuse me." The customer called.

Renjun snapped out of his thoughts, turning to the person before him. "I'm sorry. What was your order?"

☀️

"Looks like you kids can handle the place very well." Taeyong complimented. The sun had already set and the café was nearly empty by the time he arrived. "I'm so sorry for not being here. Things took a while to settle at the hospital."

"How's the hunk?" Yuki asked. She finished making Renjun's drink before she started making hers. "Kind of wanted to talk to my thera-pissed."

"He's fine. He'll be joining us tomorrow, but he'll just be on cashier duty." Taeyong sighed. He excused himself to tidy up the remnants of chaos in the staff room.