☀️12

Renjun stared intently at his phone, the calendar app open as he jumped between dates. After sighing for the umpteenth time today, Jeno decided it was enough. Jeno could probably use all the air Renjun sighed out to make a balloon arc.

"Everything okay?" Jeno finally asked.

"I didn't get to ask Yuki if she was free to go out." Renjun sighed once again. He exited the calendar app, opting to play a game to calm his thoughts.

"So? Just ask her now." Mark insisted. "Tell her you just want to hang out. Catch up from the time she left-"

"No. Absolutely not. Over my dead body two times in three lifetimes. I'd rather die than let her know." Renjun adamantly refused, shaking his head at the horror.

"Yuki's only work, school, and home. Maybe you should offer to take her out for a breather. You two seem close anyway." Jeno encouraged. "She hates spending money though."

"What's she so strict on herself for?" Mark wondered.

Donghyuck approached the table, pulling a chair over before sitting beside Renjun. He had a content grin on his face as he affectionately began patting Renjun's head. "Why don't we mind our own business? She's really fun if you get her to spend time with you."

"Don't you dare do anything to her. She's a good person." Renjun warned, glowering at his friend as he remembered Donghyuck's little past time. "I'm really warning you."

"I have to back that warning up. Don't you dare do anything to Chi." Jeno piped in. Even if he didn't show it, he would do anything to protect Yuki. "I'm telling you this as a brother and her... friend."

"I don't really know this Chi or Yuki well, but I just don't want you causing trouble." Mark added, feeling a little left out on the conversation.

"All good. I like her too much to do anything rash. We're actually friends. I want to grow closer to her." Donghyuck brushed off rather cheery. He was in an awfully good mood because of last night. He was able to relax and sleep without any nightmares.

Well, to give him credit, he only slept once a week so it was the best sleep he had in a week.

"I think it needs to be mutual for it to call friendship." Mark reminded. He looked at the time and back at Donghyuck who didn't seem to have a care in the world. "Don't you have class?"

Donghyuck nodded, confusing his step-siblings even more. "Schedules are guides that you can follow. I choose not to. Except for Social Harmony."

He only needed to meet the minimum attendance to pass each class anyway. He was smart enough to breeze by it.

He noticed a group of girls settle not to far from their table. They weren't shy about staring at their table and making them uncomfortable. He knew one of them as the girl who had been pursuing him since middle school, and he didn't like it.

"Fucking psycho." Donghyuck muttered under his breath, Mark sending him a weird look as he was the only one who heard. "Just when I started my day right."

Jeno began talking about a movie he watched with Doyoung, calling Mark out for bailing since it was a horror movie. The two argued back and forth about it, but Donghyuck and Renjun didn't care enough to listen.

Donghyuck waited for Renjun to near the end of the hard level before grabbing the phone from Renjun and turning it off.

"Bitch-"

"You're so cute when you're mad." Donghyuck teased, quick to duck the flying juice box aimed at his head. He and Renjun circled around the table before Donghyuck made a break for the cafeteria door.