Chapter 9

3rd Person POV

157 years ago

The cold bitter night of winter had hit the Shadow Lands.

Many outside Castle Black had perished, food was scarce but the problem was the cold, the nights were cold and dark and the mornings were freezing temperatures, but as many were dying, there was one being born in such a harsh time in history.

The birth of Demonia had come during the worst winter ever seen, hundreds had died that night from the bitter touch of cold, livestock had frozen where they stood, yet in the distance, cries of a newborn could be heard through the harsh cold wind of the night, it carries the cries of the newborn prince.

There was no celebration for the young prince's arrival, nor did it ever come. 

Millie Black did not want a child, she did what she had to do to survive and to get what she wanted, even if it meant marrying a Black to get what she truly deserved, wealth and power within the Shadow Lands were all that had mattered to her, certainly not family.

The moment she had seen the young face of her son, she could not bear to look at him for more than a single second, he was an abomination to her happiness, her livelihood, and her future and for that, she hated him with her whole being.

Criso Black had been overjoyed with hope for the birth of a son, he had tried with many other women and only received girls who had not survived the first night in this world, this would be the start of his legacy, even if he did not love the child, he most certainly had high hoped for the small newborn prince.

The young prince grew and every passing day, his mother's hateful glares turned into physical tough love, Demonia Black had known his mother would never love him, but that did not stop him from trying to gain her affection on a daily basis, he had tried for many years, but failed.

The moment Demonia was born, Millie had forgotten all about the responsibility of having a son, refusing to be his mother she had begged and begged Criso, more times than once for the boy to be moved out the Castle, no longer bearing the sight of him sulking the halls for her love.

Criso Black, the King, had ignored his wife, thinking she was mad to be hateful over such a small child, after all, she still had her livelihood as promised, he had known about her many lovers, both female and male, he had let her have her fun, but she had grown spoilt, demanding, raising her voice and commanding where she pleased.

This behavior had set Criso into a rage, other wives would not dare and as giving as he was a king and a man, he would not allow such disrespect from his own wife. He had her tongue cut out, having enough of her constant screaming and demanding, he removed her chances at ever uttering a word again, and that was that.

Life had gone on for one hundred years as nothing had happened. Millie was no longer her lively self, throwing parties, having orgies, and no more smiling. One thing she made sure to keep was to remind her son, Prince Demonia, how much exactly she had loathed him, she made it her life mission to make him as miserable as she was.

She would deny him rest and food, even making him sleep in a cage next to the Lycans outside the walls, she loved to watch him lay in terror as the things in cages snap their jaws at him hungrily, hatefully and threateningly, it made her... happy.

Happiness was no longer an option, as long as he was alive and not even her damned husband was going to deny her this torment her son deserved.

So one day, she had enough and thought 'why the hell not, it's time' and she had set out to achieve her goals, she was to finally kill Demonia Black, the boy who shouldn't have lived.

After all, she had gone through so much trouble during her pregnancy to kill the offspring and for it to survive, it had felt like a slap in the face ever since his birth.

Demonia had known on his hundredth birthday that his mother would not stop, even after his father, Criso, had given Millie many chances to change her ways and accept her life as a mother to the future King and she had refused each time, increasing the torment at Demonia each time his father had tried to help her.

He knew she had grown mad, no longer a person but a shadow stalking the castle halls, snarling and drooling at any who look at her, she had become a black stain on the good name of Black, one the royal family could not tolerate anymore.

Millie was aware, she moved fast and swift, heard whispers of a new woman to replace her, the word did travel fast and Criso was a cold man to Millie her whole marriage, being forced to bear his child to have a lavish lifestyle with her freedom, she had hated him for it, anything but a child she had begged.

It was all his fault, that.... grey-eyed devil.

She was going to kill him.

Before the morn of Demonia's birthday, she had planned an arouse within the house of Black with high officials within the royal council, the terms were simple and easy. 

Kill Demonia and Criso, and she would make it so it rained wealth on her benefactors, she had plagued their minds with it was what they deserved for being so loyal after all, why not?

Mad words from a madwoman, yet they worked, many greedy people roamed the halls of the beautiful Castle of Black, wanting a piece of their power and wealth, they felt like they deserved it.

That night had been a bloodbath within the Castle Black, Lycans were set loose on the council, Millie and her followers, many had died that long cold night, the screams of the damned still haunt the castle halls.

Millie was beheaded the following day for her betrayal.

The scenes of his childhood and the beheading of his 'mother' had haunted Demonia for years to come, plagued by the wrath of greedy, evil women and their ways of seduction to get what they wanted in life, he had hated with all his being that he had to live it on a daily basis.

It broke him young, not once did he smile or laugh within the walls of Castle Black, the only joy he had seemed to feel in his older age was the screams of punishing those who resembled his mother, it was all that brought peace to the terrors that plagued his life.

Demonia distanced himself, grew strong and wise, stayed clear of all greedy disgusting women that make his skin crawl, he was not his mother's son, nor would he ever become like her, tormented by things she did not deserve, nor appreciate, she was vile and rotting in hell in his mind.

From the father that did not love him, to the mother that wanted him dead, his whole life he had known he was meant for something more, not once giving up to the dread of his life, his upbringing in such a cold household, he knew he was destined for more.

Every day until the moment he realized this had been a living hell. 

Demonia had risen above the hate and betrayal and he used those emotions to be the man he is today, he used it to become better, better than his parents had even been, to be a King who listens to his people, to a lover who only loves his partner and most of all, to be a father who would not damn his child the moment they enter this world, he would be better, he had to, for the sake of his soul.