Chapter 12

Lilian POV

It has been a week since Demonia left The Vale and today is the day he is scheduled to arrive home, since his departure the Palace has been most uncomfortable, especially since it's been so long since I've left to go outside.

No one is letting me leave and I'm beyond upset, so is my wolf.

I can't wait for Demonia to come home so I can finally feel at ease again, with the rumors traveling around the Palance and the fact I can't escape them from not being allowed out, I need to speak to him about it and find out what is really going on with these whispering rumors everyone seems to know about but me.

I want to know the truth.

I pull my knees up to my chest and stare out the palace window overlooking The Vale, it's so beautiful and quiet from all the way up here, but I can help but feel lonely having no one but my maid to speak to.

No one dares look at me, never mind speak to me. Whenever I enter a room everyone bows their head and averts their eyes from mine and I can't help but feel like it has something to do with how much people fear Demonia and the Black name.

A knock at my door makes me tilt my head to the side to see the door open and a familiar face pops out from behind the door. 

The man known as Tobias bows in front of me. "Your majesty."

"I have come to tell you that His Majesty has arrived in The Vale and sends for your presence in the great hall for lunch." 

I smile happily and lower myself from the window I was sat near. "Thank you Tobias." 

He smiles then bows before me, he opens the door then shuts it behind him as I walk towards my mirror and check over my hair and clothes.

I've missed him so much, his scent, his smile, the way his eyes see straight through me, everything about my mate makes me tremble but in a very pleasant way.

Without him has been horrible, the mate bond is very strong between us, and the moment he left The Vale I felt my heart clench with pain from the distance between us, I had wished I could go with him, to see where he grew up.

I had heard things from The Vale about The Shadow Lands, most are wonderful but then there are the dangers that lay within the realm, it is no secret that Renoan dislike wolves, and they practice Dark Magic, magic that has been banned here within The Vale from how dangerous and deadly it is in the wrong hands.

Anyone who practices magic in The Vale is punished by death or worse, sent to The Silver Forge prison under The Vale, it is an inescapable prison, surrounded by magic and hidden that only the royal family and members of the council know of its location and purpose.

No one that enters the forge ever escapes, it scares even I of its presence, knowing that as I sleep... somewhere under the ground are creatures of all kind trapped in silver, forever, in a prison that is built like a maze.

I had nightmares as a child about being trapped in there, my father would tell me that if I misbehaved I would end up there, or he would send me there without a second thought.

My wolf hearing picks up voices from in front of the Palance and I can sense Demonia, I'm moving before I even think about it, my feet are moving on their own as I leave my bedroom and excitably make my way down the hall the best I could in a dress, as elegant as the one I'm wearing.

The closer I get to the middle of the palace the more I smell Demonia, his scent is all I have craved this past week, I had struggled to even sleep without him by my side that I shamefully had rolled up one of his shirts and slept with it at night.