Chapter 12

Elain spoke from the door so silently that we all twisted toward her, "Using me." Lately things have still been awkward with Elain. You know how she wanted Azriel as hers, well she didn't take it well when she found out that he wasn't going to leave me for her. You think she's passive aggressive, turns out she's not when provoked. There was lots of cussing and throwing objects when she found out. Even on the day of our mating ceremony, she still had hope that he would leave me. Now I think she has realized that he's not going to be with her, so now she just resents us.

Feyre had twisted in her seat, face white with alarm.

Nesta shot to her feet. "No."

Elain remained in the doorway, her face pale but her expression hard. "You do not decide what I can and cannot do, Nesta."

"The last time we involved ourselves with the Cauldron, it abducted you," Nesta countered. "I thought you didn't have powers anymore." Elain pursed her lips. "I thought you didn't, either."

Nesta's spine straightened. No one spoke, but our attention lingered on her like a film on her skin. "You will not go looking for it."

Amren said coolly, "So you look for it, girl."

Nesta turned to the small female. "I don't know how to find anything."

"Like calls to like," Amren countered. "You were Made by the Cauldron. You may track other objects Made by it as well, as Briallyn can. And because you are Made by it, you are immune to the influence and power of the Trove. You might use them, yes, but they cannot be used upon you. A glance to Elain. "Either of you."

Nesta swallowed. "I can't."

Amren said, "You tracked the Cauldron-"

"It nearly killed me. It trapped me like a bird in a cage."

Elain said, "Then I will find it. I might require some time to ... reacquaint myself with my powers, but I could start today."

"Absolutely not," Nesta spat, fingers curling at her sides. "Absolutely not."

"Why?" Elain demanded. "Shall I tend to my little garden forever?" When Nesta flinched, Elain said, "You can't have it both ways. You cannot resent my decision to lead a small, quiet life while also refusing to let me do anything greater." Ope this is turning into another fight. Why are there so many fights that seem like personal issues, but are in front of everyone.

"Then go off on adventures," Nesta said. "Go drink and fuck strangers. But stay away from the Cauldron."

Feyre said, "It is Elain's choice, Nesta."

Nesta whirled on her, ignoring the warning flicker of primal wrath in Rhys's stare. "Keep out of this," she hissed at her youngest sister. "I have no doubt you put these thoughts in her head, probably encouraging her to throw herself into harm's way- "

Elain cut in sharply, "I am not a child to be fought over."

"Do you not remember the war? What we encountered? Do you not remember the Cauldron kidnapping you, bringing you into the heart of Hybern's camp?"

"I do," Elain said coldly. "And I remember Feyre rescuing me." Ohh burn.

For a heartbeat, it appeared that Elain might say something to soften the words. But Nesta cut her off, seething at the pity about to be thrown her way. "Look who decided to grow claws after all" she crooned.

"Maybe you'll become interesting at last, Elain."

Nesta saw the blow land, like a physical impact, in Elain's face, her posture- No one spoke, though shadows gathered in the corners of the room like snakes preparing to strike.