Chapter 20

The next dance began and we went back to our posts. It was a lighter, easier dance than the first.

"Come on, go ask her to dance. Don't let Eris hog her all to himself." I say to Cassian.

"Just a minute ago, I thought you wanted them together." He asks.

"You and her are my number one ship though. Go." I say, pushing him.

"Fine," He replies. He walks over to where Nesta and Eris are dancing and says, "Move."

Eris looked down his straight nose at Cassian. "I don't take orders from brutes." (Is Eris taller than Cassian? This line make's it sound that way. I find that weird for a reason.)

Nesta stifled her snarl and said coolly to Cassian, "Am I to understand that you would like to dance with me?"

"Yes." His hazel eyes were burning with violence.

"He's doing great." Azriel says.

"Well, you're his wingman, don't you usually help him?"

"No, he's past saving now. He's in the jaws of the beast."

"It's rude to call Nesta a beast, more like a shark about to bite off his head."

Eris bared his teeth at Cassian. "Go sit at your master's feet, dog."

"No one likes a selfish partner, Eris. Time to share."

Eris threw her a mocking smile. "We'll play later, Nesta Archeron."

He ignored Cassian as he aimed for the dais again.

Alone with Cassian, Nesta demanded, "Are you happy now?"

His face was like stone. "No."

Cassian offered up his hand. He was nervous.

Nesta slipped her hand into his. His hand slid around her waist, so large it spanned nearly halfway across. She gathered her skirts, and lifted her gaze to his.

Nesta fell back a step, leading him, them, into the dance, and Cassian went with her.

He was not graceful like Eris, but he kept up, willing to follow her into the music.

Their steps quickened and Cassian found his rhythm. He spun her, and she whipped herself around, his arms waiting to catch her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassian would only yield Nesta to Azriel, who swept her into a waltz as easily as breathing. Azriel growled, but let Cassian dance with me as well.

Cassian and Mor are at the wine table and Rhys and Feyre are speaking with Eris.

"All right," Eris said to Rhys, sliding his hands into his pockets. "You showed me what I can have, Rhysand. I'm intrigued enough to ask what you'd want in return."

Rhys didn't move from where he lounged on his throne. "What do you mean by that?"

Lust glazed Eris's eyes. Covetous, calculating lust. "I mean that whatever you want, I'll give it to you in exchange for her. As my bride." He jerked his chin to the box with the dagger at Rhys's feet. "I'd rather have her than that."

He danced three dances with her. He's crazy.

Rhys's lips seemed to be fighting a losing battle not to smile.

"That's not my decision," Rhys said calmly to Eris. "And it seems foolish for you to offer me anything I want in exchange for her, anyway."

His jaw tightened. "I have my reasons."