Chapter 17

"Ethan," I breathed dumbly, because that was all my mind could conjure in its shock. Ethan looked the same as he ever had; although I wasn't sure why I was expecting that to change within a week. Perhaps I was sensing him becoming more like a stranger as the time of his absence stretched on. His soft green eyes lacked their usual spark, his jaw was clenched and the dark shadows under his eyes looked like bruises in the warm light. He wasn't any less handsome though.

"Where- where have you been?" I shook my head in disbelief, staring at him with a crushed expression no doubt, as he looked deeply pained to see me like that.

Ethan sighed, running a hand down his face. "I'm so sorry, Ivan. I- I was in Colorado. My best friend died Sunday night, and I flew back for the funeral," he explained. I found myself growing frustrated, my hands clenching at my sides into fists. Great, I can't possibly be mad at him if his friend died. How shitty would that be? I avoided looking at Ethan, and could feel my brows furrowing. I knew my expression wasn't very warm.

"Why would you do that to me?" I mutter.

"I- I know. I disappeared without telling anyone and I'm really sorry. I wasn't in a good headspace at all, then I broke my phone when we got to the hotel and-" he sighed. "I'm really sorry."

I laughed incredulously. "I want to be so mad at you right now."

"I know." Ethan looked down and jabbed his toe at the grass sheepishly. Looking out over the horizon, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. This was my chance to show Ethan that I actually cared, that even if my face was blank and I didn't know the right words to say- that I would always be there for him. No matter what.

I squinted against the setting sun, before turning back towards the boy from down the street. The boy who seemed so big and capable when I first met him, now looked like a child, yearning for comfort and solidarity. Before the nerves made me change my mind, I surged forward and gathered him in my arms, holding his head against my shoulder, running my fingers through his loose brown waves that seemed muted and dirty now. I felt the hiccups of his back before I felt the tears soaking my shoulder, and I sighed before closing my eyes. I just couldn't stay mad at him. Not like this.

Painfully aware that Ethan could probably hear how hard my heart was beating, I pulled away from him just slightly to ask if he wanted me to spend the night. The meek nod that followed was all I needed.

Ethan stayed quiet on the walk back, his face blotchy and eyes rimmed red, and my heart wept for him. His pace was painfully slow as he kicked a stray rock down the street, and I was busy trying to figure out how I was supposed to comfort someone so broken.

Soon we ended up on his front porch, I held his bicep gently as I turned him to face me. His green irises stayed trained on the concrete, but he appeared to be listening.

"I'll be right back. Just going to get my things, okay?" My brows furrowed, squeezing gently to get his attention. All I got in return was a glum nod, his lips twisted in a grimace at the pain. I watched as he wandered inside lifelessly, and the second the front door closed, I shot across the street. I was finally needed. My sneakers smacked against the pavement loudly, but I had little care as I cut across the lawn and burst through the front door. Mrs. Clarissa was in the middle of setting down some pasta for dinner, looking up at me in surprise along with Benji and Mary.

"I'm sleeping over at Ethan's, he needs me." I huffed, trying to catch my breath as I grabbed my backpack.

"Ethan's back?" Mrs. Clarissa asked in surprise.

"His friend just died. He was in Colorado for the funeral. I need to be there for him." I stared into Mrs. Clarissa's eyes intensely, feeling like I have to convince her to let me be with Ethan. Mrs. Clarissa straightened, smoothing out her white blouse with an affirming look on her face.