Chapter 20

Ethan and I stood at the front door, glancing at each other as we contemplated whether we should just waltz in or knock. With a shrug, Ethan simply opened the door and stepped through, me following suit as I looked around. There were definitely less people here than last time, music playing at a level where you could still hear another person talk. Some people stood around in the living room, sizing Ethan and I up before quickly losing interest and returning to their own conversations.

"Do you think Vera is here yet?" Ethan asked as we walked down the hall to the kitchen. I was startled by a fake spider web that became stuck against my cheek, jerking backwards violently with wide, fearful eyes. A dreadful thought crossed my mind that I may have hallucinated the sensation, and with such a visceral reaction from seemingly nothing, that would appear quite unusual to an onlooker. Ethan simply laughed as he plucked it away from my face, the tip of his thumb gently swiping across my cheekbone with the movement. I let out a shaky breath, relieved I was still in the same reality as him at that moment.

"Thanks," I mumbled, embarrassed. "Vera is always fashionably late, I don't think she'll be here yet."

"Let's find Chloe then," Ethan smiled and led us to the kitchen. There were some teenagers there refilling their drinks, and Chloe happened to be present as well, trying to direct traffic through the kitchen as an older woman dressed in a hot pink velvet jumpsuit that looked like it came straight from the early 2000's prepared some food at the counter.

"Hey guys!" She shrieked and bounced over, giving Ethan a tight squeeze and giving me the same treatment. I could feel myself tense under her touch, and she pulled back with a sheepish expression, suddenly realizing I wasn't one to be too appreciative of physical contact.

Well, from most people, that is.

"You two look great! Love the matching costumes," she complimented, giving me a knowing look.

"You look great too Chloe," I said bashfully. She chuckled and smoothed out the red skirt to her Little Red Riding Hood costume.

"Thanks, I have to admit it was very last minute. Do you two want something to drink?" She glanced back at the woman in the kitchen and stepped closer to us, lowering her voice. "Sorry there's no alcohol, my mom is home this time, so the party is a little low key."

Ethan shook his head, "it's fine Chloe. I'm alright thank you though."

"I'm okay," I smiled.

"Alright, well you know where the drinks are, you can help yourself. And, um. . . Ethan, can I talk to you for a minute?" Chloe asked softly, chewing on her lip.

"Um," Ethan looked at me in uncertainty, probably feeling just as uncomfortable as she was. "Are you going to be okay? We can always wait for Vera, right Chloe?"

Chloe nodded quickly. I glanced around, trying to see if anyone I even remotely knew was here, but there wasn't anyone around that I recognized. "It's fine, I'm sure Vera will be here soon."

Ethan looked at me with a burning gaze, asking me with his eyes if I was sure. I nodded my head pointedly, and he seemed to be satisfied with that as Chloe began to walk down a hallway that didn't have as many people in it, Ethan following close behind.

Being by myself wasn't too bad, I wandered around Chloe's home as much as I could without being super creepy, looking at all the little decorations on the fireplace mantle and the pictures of a younger Chloe and another older boy. I stepped closer and squinted at a small pumpkin figurine with a malicious grin painted onto the plastic. Once the face appeared to warp and grin even wider, I was quick to move along.

I wasn't alone for long, as Vera and Emma made their appearance, walking through the front door wearing long white dresses with golden accents.

"Ivan!" Vera yelled and rushed over to me, pushing my shoulder playfully.