Chapter 30

As promised, the nurse led us to a room completely stripped of everything inside, the only things present were a bed, a couch, and a chair on the furthest side of the room.

"Everyone can sit on the couch, or stand if you prefer, we're just going to talk right now, okay?" The nurse chirped, walking over to a phone above the bed and talking to someone for a moment. Mrs. Clarissa and Ethan sat on the couch, my boyfriend sporting a deer in the headlights look, and I glanced nervously at the guy who must have been holding me earlier. He was really tall, with a short buzzed head and expressionless face. Standing by the door, he had his hands clasped in front of him and I saw a security badge hanging from his neck.

"It's alright, Ivan. Come sit down next to Ethan. There's nothing to worry about," Mrs. Clarissa coaxed. I was hesitant, but sat down next to Ethan anyway. The nurse leaned against the wall, handing the clipboard to another nurse who came in last.

"So talk to me, hon. What's your name?" She asked.

"Ivan," I mumbled, picking at my fingers.

"It's good to meet you, Ivan. My name is Kelly. And how old are you?"

"Seventeen."

"My little brother is that exact same age. Can you tell me how you're feeling right now?" She gazed at me intently, but had an overall soft, comforting demeanor.

"I'm not safe. No one seems to understand."

"Why are you not safe?"

"Because they're- they're coming to get me!" I say seriously, leaning forward in my seat.

The nurse frowned. "Wow, that sounds really scary. Can you tell me who's out to get you?"

"I- I don't really know who. But I know they're out there, I see them in the woods and the voices tell me they're after me," I looked over at the other nurse, who seemed to be writing everything I said down.

"I can assure you, Ivan, that we are well prepared to keep them away from you. We can keep you safe," she looked over at Mrs. Clarissa. "We're going to go ahead and admit him. Unfortunately any guests will have to wait in the lobby while we conduct the physical exam. The psychiatrist on call will come out and need to ask you some questions."

"Alright, thank you," Mrs. Clarissa said as she stood, Ethan following suit while trying to give me a reassuring expression, which just looked cloaked in sadness. Two more nurses came in as I watched Mrs. Clarissa and Ethan leave, and I started to panic.

"I'm going with them. I don't want to be here-"

"Ivan, they'll be back as soon as you change and we are done examining you," Kelly said, trying to block the view of my family leaving. "I think it would be best if you change yourself, but if you refuse we will have to do it for you. You have a choice."

"N-no, I'll c-change myself," I started to cry, wiping roughly at my eyes.

"Alright. Mike, could you wait outside for a minute?" Kelly asked the security guard still standing by the door. With a curt nod, he slipped outside and closed the door with a click. I waited for the other nurses to leave, but they never did.

"Aren't you going to leave?" I asked.

Kelly looked at me sadly. "No sweetheart, we have to be in the room with you. You're safe though, no one is judging, and you can keep your underwear on. We are just trying to give you the best care."

At this point, I couldn't even care anymore, so I shuffled over to the bed, unraveling the green hospital gown. Taking off my shirt, I threw it on the bed while dropping my pants. I tried to use the bed as some sort of cover, but the nurses made themselves busy, and all seemed to make an effort in averting their gaze. Sliding my arms through the gown, I tied it the best I could to cover myself. Even though I had my boxers on, I still felt extremely vulnerable and exposed. Following that, I put on some yellow socks with grips on the soles.