Epilogue

I tapped my pen against the wooden desk as my hand supported my chin, and my eyes felt like sand was in them after staring at a computer screen for so long. I'd be a liar if I said becoming a paralegal was my dream career, looking at files and computers for hours on end and spending half of my work week in meetings definitely wouldn't make anyone feel real passionate about their job- but I was happy. The position paid well, they were willing to take me on with an associate's degree and little work experience, and it was a vast improvement to where a younger, more pessimistic version of myself thought I'd end up.

"Ivan!" I heard shouting from the cubicle across from me, rolling my eyes as a hand suddenly popped up over the top of the divider, waving around obnoxiously. "Ivan!" the voice called again. Groaning, I got up from my chair and walked around the cubicle to stand in front of my coworker Allison, who was giving me a very innocent look and holding out a red folder as she batted her eyelashes.

"Let me guess," I sighed, folding my arms in front of me.

"Copies. Four of each. Pretty please," she grinned, clasping her hands on top of her pregnant belly. I took the folder from her, raising an eyebrow.

"What are you going to do when you can't use pregnancy as an excuse to get others to do your bidding?" I relied monotonously.

Alison shrugged, rubbing her large belly absentmindedly. "I'll think of something else. Use my good looks to coerce unknowing men."

I remained stone faced as I blinked at her. "You know that's not-"

"Not going to work on you, yeah, yeah, we know. I'll find someone else," she said batting her hand dismissively as her desk phone started ringing. "Now shoo, I have to take this," she reached over to the end of her desk, answering the phone pleasantly as she blew me a kiss. I smiled, shaking my head. She reminded me a lot of Vera, who I rarely spoke to these days due to an unfortunate falling out after I moved across the country. Allison was almost comforting in a way, she was so much like my former high school friend that I often felt like Vera had come with me to Massachusetts, both of us now more mature and wiser. Walking down to the copy room, I said hello to Jim, the boss, as he sling shot a rubber band through the air towards me from his office chair. He just barely missed as I lurched forward to dodge it, laughing as he swore and banged his fist on the desk.

As I was scanning Allison's papers, I felt my phone vibrate in the pocket of my black slacks. Fishing it from my pants, a goofy grin spread across my face as I saw I had a text from Ethan, letting me know he was on his way home with an excessive amount of hearts and kissy faces. One more hour, and then I can be home with him.

Gathering up all the papers, I made my way back over to Allison, who was bouncing on that dumb exercise ball as she typed on her computer.

"Your highness," I said, bowing my head in mock respect as I presented the folder out in front of me, my gold wedding band with three small diamonds glinting underneath the bright fluorescent lighting of the office.

~

I pulled into our driveway and parked next to Ethan's black Chevrolet. It was a newer year than what he had when we were teenagers, but he was adamant about sticking with a black Chevrolet. My grey Subaru still had that new car smell, as it was only a few days ago I finally saved up enough to afford it. I had never been more proud of myself than I was in that dealership getting handed the keys.

Grabbing my briefcase and lunch box, I slid out of the car and hurried to the front door, fumbling with my keys. After a long day at work, all I wanted to see was Ethan, who was usually home in the afternoon after his grueling medical school classes. One more year, and he would be moving into his psychiatry residency, as well as his final year of medical school.