Chapter 31

The three days I had spent in the emergency department were a haze, like I had dreamed it all. My memory of the event was really spotty, since I was usually either asleep or drowsily listening to Ethan and Mrs. Clarissa talk with half lidded eyes. After seventy-two hours, Dr. Roberts decided to discharge me after I showed signs of not being completely off my rocker, but really I think it was because there were still no inpatient beds available anyway, and they would have to keep me in the emergency room. Better to just spit them back out into the world again, right?

I sat on the edge of my hospital bed, Ethan running his fingers through my greasy hair.

"How are you not grossed out right now? I haven't showered in three days," I ask, averting my eyes in embarrassment. Twelve was pacing back and forth on the floor, and I watched her in interest. "Nothing about you could ever gross me out," he replied simply, looking over to where I was staring. In the place I saw a black cat, he saw dusty linoleum flooring.

"What do you see?" He asked curiously. Ethan took great interest in getting to know the things I sometimes saw, regardless of how weird it was.

"Twelve."

"That's the black cat, right?"

I hummed, eventually closing my eyes and resting my head on his chest. I'm definitely taking a nap when I get home.

"If you ever need reassurance that something isn't really there, you know you can ask me anytime. I would do it for however many times you need to feel safe," Ethan said softly, placing a loving kiss on my forehead.

"That's really kind of you. Thank you," I smiled, nuzzling my nose on the underside of his jaw. "How was school?" I asked. Of course Monday had to be the third day of the psychiatric hold, causing me to miss school I definitely shouldn't be missing.

"Nothing much happened, everyone was wondering where you were. I didn't say anything, I promise, just that you weren't feeling well," he smiled.

"You're the best," I breathed, feeling some of the tension leave my shoulders. The door behind us opened and Mrs. Clarissa came in, her pale skin looked almost translucent, and I knew today was one of the bad days. She's had a rough weekend between dealing with me and going back home to take care of Benji and Mary, a constant back and forth with hardly any break.

"Alright, discharge papers are all signed. We should be good to go," she smiled at us.

"Mrs. Clarissa- my mom and I were talking earlier, Ivan is more than welcome to stay at mine for a few hours," Ethan offered, so you can finally get some rest, was the unspoken line after that.

"Well, if that's what Ivan wants, I suppose that'd be all right," she looked between Ethan and I, pushing her tortoise shell frames up her nose. I nodded, smiling reassuringly. "Alright. Be home by eight, okay? Ethan, can you walk him home?"

"Of course."

I frowned, knowing that meant I was still unstable in her eyes and needed to be babysat. It hurt, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand it. Ethan grabbed the overnight bag Mrs. Clarissa had brought the second day, holding my hand as we walked down the bleach white halls and out of the hospital. Waving goodbye to Mrs. Clarissa, Ethan swung our hands lightly as he unlocked his car, putting my bag in the back as he held the door open for me. I slid in, buckling my seatbelt as Ethan walked around and got in the driver's seat, starting the car. I shivered a bit against the cold and rainy April day, pulling the sleeves of Ethan's hoodie over my hands. I grinned at that, sometimes forgetting I'm wearing Ethan's clothes until I suddenly remember and blush like a fool.

"I love seeing you in my hoodie," he pulled teasingly on one of the strings.

"It smells like you," I said playfully.