Chapter 28

I felt like death, and I know for a fact I looked like it too. Slowly coming down the stairs, I only saw Mary at the table, throwing her utensils around like usual. Mrs. Clarissa was at the counter, humming as she made breakfast, that stupid black cat stared at me with an unwavering gaze. I faltered on the stairs, surprised to see Twelve suddenly show up again. She stared back at me, sitting right next to Mrs. Clarissa on the counter, who of course had no idea that she was there.

Trudging forward, I just chose to ignore Twelve as I sat down, slouching a bit in the wooden chair.

"Good morning, Ivan," she said as she set my plate down in front of me. I stared at the food, fruit and scrambled eggs, feeling hungry but barely having the energy to eat. The voices were non-stop last night, I couldn't have slept more than two hours total. They've been especially loud this morning, and the exhaustion was hitting me hard.

"Where's Benji?" I asked, looking up at her. Her thin red lips frowned slightly, focusing back on pouring her coffee.

"He's having a difficult time right now, just feeling really down."

"Oh. . ." I mumbled, moving my food around, taking a few bites of the fruit.

"I'll be right back. I'm just going to bring Benji his food. Could you watch Mary, please?"

I nodded, and Mrs. Clarissa thanked me in relief as she rushed upstairs to attend to Benji. He wasn't handling Mrs. Clarissa's diagnosis too well. Frankly, I wasn't sure if I was either, having spent too much time last night crying, frustrated with the unfairness of life.

Once I finished off my plate, I stood to put it in the sink, fully expecting Twelve to still be sitting there, staring at me with her dark, beady eyes. She was gone though, and I felt like I could breathe a little easier. She was one of my oldest recurring hallucinations, but still managed to scare me shitless. She was like a vulture, a symbol of death, bad omens, and plenty of misfortune to come.

Looking at my phone, I saw that it was close to seven, so Ethan was going to be here any second. I moved to the front door to pull on my shoes and backpack, waiting impatiently for Mrs. Clarissa to come back down so I could go. It wasn't like I could leave Mary by herself.

"Sorry! Sorry! Remember to stop by here before going over to Ethan's tonight. Have a good day Ivan!" Mrs. Clarissa appeared not much later, doing that slow descent down the stairs she always did now. I couldn't bear watch her anymore, so I simply said my goodbye and left quickly, striding over to Ethan's car and throwing myself into the passenger seat.

Why did you get in the car?

You shouldn't have done that.

You are so stupid.

Can't do anything right, can't listen.

Always a burden.

"Ivan!" A hand grabbed my shoulder, and I jumped at the new voice. Whipping my head to the left, I saw a disturbed look wash over Ethan's face, his eyebrows knitting together as his lips parted in worry.

"Baby. . . you don't look good at all," he frowned, brushing his thumb over the dark circles under my eyes.

I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my legs and putting my hands over my face as the voices kept talking. "I didn't sleep last night. Benji's not doing well. I- I can't do anything," I breathed heavily. Ethan rubbed my back soothingly.

"I'm glad you're coming over tonight. I think you need a break from all of this."

"Yeah," I whispered, straightening up to put on my seatbelt, squinting my eyes against the bright sun. I felt the car rumble to a start, and we left for school. My leg bounced anxiously, and I kept my eyes glued to the woods. I knew they were out there. I could feel their eyes on me everywhere I went.