Chapter IX

Inside the castle, Jane made it to Margaret's room and wasted no time knocking on the door

It didn't take long for the door to be opened by one of Margaret's ladies and when it was, Jane held the letter out to her.

"My Lady, the king's mother," she told the woman as she handed her the letter.

Inside the room, Margaret turned her head, beginning to smile in satisfaction since she believed the letter had the chance of containing something that could have Charlotte executed once and for all.

Once being handed the letter by her lady, Margaret began to walk through her room, reading the letter to herself.

Dear Humphrey Stafford,

My firstborn daughter disappoints me. I hoped that she would stand beside me and against her husband, but she will not. It seems as though she likes Henry far more than I expected her to and is obedient to him. I will not go so far as to believe them to be in love, but there certainly is a fondness between them.

Her sole complaint with Henry would seem to be within the marriage bed. She complains that his manhood rarely rises to occasion and even when it does, he attempts to thrust into somewhere I imagine would be considered sinful in the eyes of Gods and...

Margaret's eyes widened in horror. She wasted no time crumbling the piece of paper up before she threw it into the fireplace.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Lily looks up as Charlotte comes into the room, immediately noticing her mother's pale face and the parchment clutched tightly in her hand.

"What's that?"

"It's a proposal," her mother starts. "Or rather a command from King Henry that Bella should head North to Scotland."

"She's too young," Lily says immediately, vehemently.

Charlotte only chuckles. "Oh, your husband is aware of that, which is why he suggests I travel with her. He even suggests I marry again."

"Marry who? Stop it, Mama. You're frightening me. What is he thinking of? Who is he thinking of?"

"Some low-ranking Scottish noble, no doubt," Charlotte scoffs.

"He's gone mad. He can't command this. He can't tell you to marry, nor command Bella to leave us before she's even ten years old. He wouldn't dare. This will be his mother's plan. You can't possibly go."

She has a hand to her mouth to hide her trembling lips. "I imagine that we will have to go. They can make us go."

"Mama, I can't live here without you!"

"It's not like I have much of a choice, Cecily," Charlotte snaps, the use of her full name stunning Lily into silence. "If he commands it, we'll have to go."