Chapter XXXVI

Westminster Palace, England

Margaret ran into the chapel before throwing herself down on her knees as she began to pray, desperate for absolution as the realization of everything she had done came crashing down on her.

She froze as she heard the door open and close. Turning around, she cursed in her mind as she saw it was Jasper who had followed her in.

"Margaret?" He called out, causing her to sigh in defeat before she stood up. "What is wrong?"

She took a deep breath, slowly turning to face him. "I...I couldn't sleep," she confessed.

"Something is wrong. Tell me," Jasper insisted, a concerned look appearing on his face as he watched her pace around the chapel. "Perhaps I can share your burden. Is it Henry?" He asked and still, she didn't answer, causing him to become impatient. "Is it Elizabeth? What has she said to you? She is deranged. You said so yourself."

"He got away," she confessed, causing Jasper to frown in confusion since he didn't know what she was talking about.

"What?" He asked, a confused look on his face.

"William. He got away," she continued on, causing Jasper's frown to become even larger.

"Got away?" He asked, not knowing what she was getting at.

"Elizabeth told my physician, Doctor Lewis, years ago. She said, 'If you had five precious jewels, would you put all of them in the same box, especially when three of them were far more valuable than the others? And if you realized they were at risk, wouldn't you ensure one was safe?'" She asked Jasper, not realizing she was telling someone who didn't already know about what she did. "Don't you see? She knew she wouldn't have been able to get one of her sons away from the Tower. When Arthur and Rickon were dealt with, she must've ensured William survived wherever he had run off to."

"Margaret?" Jasper asked, a worried look on his face. "What did you do? What you speak of is murder."

Margaret froze, tears threatening to spill from her eyes as she turned to face Jasper. "It is not murder if it is God's will," she answered, feeling no guilt for what she did, only regret that all of them didn't die as they were supposed to.

"There is no divinity in this!" Jasper practically growled at Margaret, a look of disbelief on his face.

"No, I—" Margaret began to say, only to be cut off.

"You killed them," Jasper continued on, horrified by what he had learned.

"I did not!" Margaret exclaimed, beginning to become defensive.

"You ordered it," Jasper corrected her in a furious tone. "You ordered for Elizabeth's boys to be killed and you arranged for Princes Arthur and Rickon to die."

Margaret shook her head, trying her best to convince Jasper it wasn't her fault before he told Henry. "I cannot know for certain if it was carried out," she argued. "And children fall ill, Jasper! Both princes died due to illness. They needed to be dealt with, but it wasn't by my hand!"