Chapter XLIII

Stirling Castle, Scotland

It takes Bess a while, as James kisses his way down her neck and breasts to her stomach, before she realizes that she has to tell him; she shifts gently as he straddles her, panting heavily from their love making, and stares up at him with the dark eyes that had hooked him when they first met.

"I am pregnant again," she breaths, leaning up to kiss him passionately.

"I know," he says, quirking a gentle grin, a hand on her waist.

"You count the days?" She asks, quirking an eyebrow in genuine surprise at the knowledge that her husband — a man — has been smart enough to work out that his child is growing in her belly.

"It's not that difficult," he admits, smiling genially at her. "You are regular in your courses. And you came to my bed when you would have been indisposed."

He grins and resumes kissing her.

"What are you thinking about?" she asks as he pulls away, flushed with desire, and pants above her.

"That I am happy," he admits — and he means it. He has a beautiful wife naked in his bed, a loving marriage, a strong son and a beautiful daughter in the nursery and a babe growing in his wife's womb.

"So am I," she assures him — and she, too, means it. "As long as I breathe."

He grins and kisses her passionately, lowering himself. "I'll be gentle, so as not to harm the babe."

"I know."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

"Have you seen Phillip yet this morning?"

"Not yet, why?" Bella asked, turning to see her friend looking a little sheepish.

"No reason," she said innocently.

"Is there something you'd like to tell me, Greta?" Bella asked her, her eyes boring into hers.

"No, there is not," Phillip's voice interrupted then and she looked instead towards him, a smile tugging at her lips as it always did when she set eyes on him.

There was a twinkle in his eyes that made her suspicious. She had told him that not to make a fuss about her birthday, especially as they would be holding as feast later on the day, as was appropriate, but she had a feeling that Phillip had completely ignored her and had something else up his sleeve.

"Happy birthday," he said then as he came to a stop in front of her, his hand finding hers and bringing the back of it to his lips. The feel of them on her skin made it tingle as always, a faint twisting feeling in her lower stomach.

"Thank you," she smiled widely in response and he dropped her hand after a moment of just holding it in his.

"Would you care for a walk?"