Chapter XX

Lily walked past the long line of young boys, whose mothers or fathers stood behind them, waiting to see if their son would be chosen

Lily glanced at each boy, trying to find which looked most like Teddy.

Caitlin and Cecily watched anxiously, waiting to see who she would choose.

Once she reached the last boy, she turned on her heel, beginning to walk past them again.

She stopped in front of the one of the boys in the middle of the line. She looked down at him and the boy stared back up at her, trying to hide his uneasiness.

He turned to look at Richard Woodville, giving him a questioning look since he didn't know what to do next. "Go on, lad," he encouraged the boy. "Just as we practiced."

He nodded, turning to look back at Lily. "My name is Teddy, Your Grace. It is an honor to meet you, Your Grace," he recited the phrases he had been taught and Lily smiled in response.

"This one looks most like Teddy," Caitlin spoke up, causing Lily to turn her head to see the her half-sister pointing at one of the first boys.

"This one also has a resemblance," Lily said thoughtfully. "And in any case, few people have actually seen Teddy up close. This boy has an innocent face, but he's determined. He won't shy away."

"To whom does he belong?" Cecily spoke up as she turned to her uncle who had brought all the boys to them.

The group watched as one of the men took a step forward, waiting to be paid. Richard Woodville sighed, just before handing the man some gold.

Cecily knelt in front of the boy. "What is your name?"

"Lambert, he answered brightly. "Lambert Simnel."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

"Come here, sweetheart," Charlotte beckons from where she is, holding Bella and Kathryn close as they sleep.

Bess does as she's told willingly enough, though she says nothing. Her eldest niece has always been quiet, much like her parents.

"I was with Teddy," the girl pouts once she's close enough to speak without waking her younger cousins.

"I'm sorry," Charlotte says truthfully. "But I needed to speak with you."

Bess turns serious at once, a stark reminder of her mother that pulls at Charlotte's heart. "What is it?"

"Do you know what happened to Bella?" Charlotte asks.

Bess wrinkles her nose, considering. "I know she was hurt when she fell from her horse," she says slowly. "And that she's still recovering."

"Yes, but you see, the physicians had to stitch her abdomen up," Charlotte explains softly. "They aren't sure if she'll be able to have children. That leaves us in a rather awkward situation."