Chapter XLIV

Mechelen, Antwerp, Burgundy

In her room, Margot was sitting on her desk, an annoyed look on her face as she looked down to the sums her tutor had given her.

There was a knock on the door, causing her to roll her eyes as she turned to look at the closed door. "Go away!" She shouted, but despite her order, the door opened to reveal Teddy standing outside.

Teddy sighed in defeat as he noticed that she was unhappy because she was not going with them to fight for England.

He knew she was fearful of the fact that he'd never return. That once they took back the throne, he'd prefer to stay by William's side instead of returning to Burgundy.

"We will win this battle. I know it," Teddy assured his cousin, who immediately shook her head.

"You don't know that. Why are you here?"

"Well, that's rude. I thought I was your favorite," Teddy complained, a playful smile on his face as he walked closer. "I know you're mine."

Margot allowed a small smile to pull at her lips, but quickly pursued her lips again, giving him an annoyed look.

"I have something for you," Teddy informed Margot, a smile on his face. "But you mustn't tell our Aunts. They wouldn't be happy if they knew I was giving it to you."

"A present I'm not supposed to have?" Margot's eyes lit up at the idea.

Teddy playfully rolled his eyes at her. "Close the door."

Margot smiled brightly, rushing over to the door to close it. She turned to face her older cousin as he turned around and revealed a smaller version of his own sword.

"Is that for me?"

Teddy nodded. "You've been begging for months to get you a real one and though I should not have listened, I couldn't help myself," he confessed as he slowly unsheathed the small sword. "This is no toy, remember that. Don't go poking people with it, they will bleed."

Teddy held the sword out to Margot, who immediately grabbed ahold of the handle. "And you must be careful not to cut yourself with it either."

Margot smiled happily as she eyed the small sword. It was perfect for someone her size. It was forged and shaped the same way as William's and Teddy's, but it was half the size of theirs.

"You must work at it every day. If I return, I will practice with you as much as I can," Teddy explained, causing Margot to turn to him with a concerned look.

"When you return, not 'if'," she argued and Teddy nodded, despite feeling uneasy.

"How does it feel?" Teddy questioned and Margot shrugged.

"Good, I think," she replied nonchalantly, which caused Teddy to smile in amusement.

"I'm going to miss you," Teddy confessed, a disappointed look on his face.