Chapter XXXIX

Lily stood on the second level of the courtyard on the Tower of London alongside Henry and their children as they watched Sir William Stanley be led onto the platform where he would be executed

Lily stood on the second level of the courtyard on the Tower of London alongside Henry and their children as they watched Sir William Stanley be led onto the platform where he would be executed. He looked up at them, a calm expression on his face. He turned his head, his eyes locking on Lord Stanley, his brother, and Lord Strange, his nephew.

"Before I die..." he trailed off, turning to look back at Henry, who intertwined hands with Lily as he tried to maintain composure. This betrayal had shocked him, unsteadied him. "You are not the true king. You are not even fit to pretend to be one. England rots beneath your feet. Men weep. So, kill me if you must. And you will kill many others after me. Men who will line up to say, 'Long live the true, able King William."

Henry remained silent. He nodded at the guards, who wasted no time forcing Sir William down on the chopping block.

As Sir William was beheaded, Meg jumped slightly, tightening her hold on her father's arm. Matilda brought her thumb to her mouth, pressing her head to Lily's skirts, her hand seeking Harry's and squeezing it tightly. Arthur flinched and looked away.

Henry turned to exchange a look with Lord Stanley. He sighed, letting go of Lily's hand. He began to walk away, only to stop when he was standing in front of his eldest son. "Arthur," he called out and both Harry and Matilda smiled, knowing their elder brother was about to be scolded. It was rare for perfect Arthur to receive a scolding and they always enjoyed when it happened. "You will never wear the crown if you can't watch a traitor die."

Henry stormed off and Lily sighed in defeat as she watched him leave.

"Father's right," Matilda spoke up, smiling tauntingly at her eldest brother. "You'll be a weak king if you can't watch someone who betrayed our family die. Perhaps Harry will be king instead. He had no problem watching it."

"I saw he held your hand," Arthur tattled. "And you couldn't watch it either."

"Tilly and I are princesses, we won't have to give the order for someone to be executed," Meg murmured. "You will be king, Art."

"Enough, girls," Lily snapped at her daughters in a stern tone, causing Matilda's smile to fade. "There's no need to taunt your brother. And, Arthur, you shouldn't have risen up to the bait."

With that, Lily began to walk away, her arm wrapped around Matilda and Meg while Harry followed behind. Arthur looked once again at the scene below before he followed his mother and siblings.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Mechelen, Antwerp, Burgundy

"I'm sure it is not as troublesome as you think," Phillip said as Kathryn roughly took down the pins from her hair. She was standing in front of him in her shift, having undressed herself for the night, and he was only on his breeches by now.