Blackouts and Escapes

Not me forgetting I have a book to write⊙﹏⊙.

*************************
When Cora woke again all she could feel was indescribable pain. She slowly tried to sit up. Tried being the keyword. The pain only intensified as she pushed herself up. Looking down at her arms she saw dark ugly bruises and nasty cuts on her knuckles. She slowly turned her hands around to find four crescent shaped cuts on each of her palms.

"Damn," she cursed. Her face hurt, no doubt covered with bruises and her one eye refused to open any further than a squint. She looked at her legs to find weirdly shaped bruises and cuts and on her ankle was a weird symbol that looked like an eye.

That wasn't even the weirdest part. The weirdest part was that she couldn't for the life of her figure out where it all came from. She couldn't remember anything from after she blacked out.

"Fucking Apocalypse," she muttered. It wasn't the first time it happened. Every time she was on this planet she had these strange blackouts and would find herself with strange bruises and marks all over her body and she has to admit, its getting on her last fucking nerve.

"If you think those are bad, you should see your face," a voice said from behind her. Cora turned, pain coursing through her limbs, to find Lashina standing behind her. She held up a small mirror and handed it to her through the bars. "Its terrible."

"Gee, thanks," Cora rolled her eyes and looked into the mirror. Ouch, she thought as she stared at her reflection. Her one was swollen and badly bruised, she had a split lip and she had cuts on her cheek.

You gotta hand it to her, Cora thought as she handed the mirror back, she's definitely honest. "I wish you were a liar, Lash."

Lashina chuckled at that. She slowly lowered herself to the floor so that they were more or less at eye level with each other. "I've missed this," she admits.

"Really?"

"Yup. An inordinate amount," Lashina said and smiled at her best friend. Well, her ex best friend now. She looked down for a moment contemplating what to say next.

When she looked up, however, something had changed. The air around them had shifted slightly.

"How about you?" she asked, a small spark of hope igniting in her as she waited for a response.

"What do you mean?"

"Did you miss me?"

Silence.

And then a cold, cruel laugh echoed through the room.

"Miss you?" Cora asked with a dark look of amusement on her face. "How the fuck can I miss you if you don't go away?"

Lashina's face turned red, from anger or embarrassment Cora couldn't tell but, quite frankly, she didn't give a damn. "Don't be a bitch," was all she said as they glared at each other.

"'Don't be a bitch'? Really? Well then, I'm terribly sorry for being such a bitch when I've been fucking kidnapped and held against my will away from my friends and family! My fucking bad!"

"We're your friends! We're your family, Cora! Why can't you see that?!" Lashina yelled.

"You're insane if you think that you mean anything to me," Cora snapped.