The Night

I never thought I would get to 100 reads, let alone 500! Thank you all so much for this.

The fam has an interesting night. Our big bad of the year is introduced and Cora gets a blast from the past.

*************************************

Cora stood in front of the King family mansion. It was huge and had a beautiful garden. She called Jace, who told her to meet him in front of the house.

The front door opened and out came Jace, followed by an older blonde woman and two young girls. The one had brown hair while the other had dark blond hair.

"Cora," Jace said, greeting her with a hug, "this is my mom and sisters the brunette is Talia and the blonde is Tash."

"Its great to finally meet you all," Cora said, receiving hugs from the twins and a firm handshake from Mrs King.

"Yes, I was surprised when Jace told me he was bringing a girl home. He hadn't had a girlfriend since Laura," Mrs King said, eyeing Cora up and down, as if she was judging her in a contest.

Of course, this made her uncomfortable, which Jace noticed immediately. He knew his mother was very judgmental.

"How about we go inside?" he asked, trying to take his mother's attention off of Cora. Mrs King nodded as they went inside.

"My brother talks a lot about you!" Talia said. Cora looked at Jace with the same face he gave her the previous night.

"Talia!" Jace said, embarrassed.

"And he jumps to answer his phone whenever you call or text," Tash said, causing her brother to send her a nasty glare. "What? Its true!"

"Enough girls. Its nearly dinner time," Mrs King said. "Go get ready." When the girls left, she, Jace and Cora went to the dining room.

"You have a lovely home, Mrs King," Cora said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Yes, I know," she replied. They all sat down at the table, the twins appearing a bit later.

After 20 minutes of silence and eating, Jace decided to break the ice.

"So, Cora is going to be an aunt soon," he said, turning to her, getting a smile.

"Oh, you have a sibling?" Mrs King asked.

"Yes, my sister, Kara, is expecting her first child soon," Cora smiled, glad that she could have a decent conversation with Jace's mother.

"Is she married?"

"No."

"So she's having a baby with her boyfriend?"

"I guess you could say that."

"What do you mean you guess? Are they not together?"

"No, but we're all rooting for them to get together," Jace cut in, seeing his mother with her judgmental look in here eyes. She clearly didn't like her so far. The twins exchanged a look, thinking of how to cut the tension.

"It sounds like a cute live story, doesn't it, mother?" Tash asked, turning to her mom.

"Its a very interesting story, my dear," she said, not taking her eyes off Cora.

After a long, awkward dinner, Mrs King asked to see Cora in her study. Talia and Tash stood outside the door, listening to their conversation while Jace stressed out in the living room.

"Cora, please sit," Mrs King said. Cora sat cautiously on the couch, the older woman joining her.

"You wanted to talk, Mrs King?"