23. Dear Neveah

The dark clouds had already made their way to overshadow the brightness of the day, leaving dark streaks of approaching nighttime all over. The sun clearly hidden behind the clouds while the beautiful transformation took place, bringing in the night.

Alli holds her purse tightly across her chest as she quickens her pace, towards the coffee shop. Indeed, it had been long since she had been at the shop to help out and even though she was embarrassed to have been called by Peyton to fill in her place while she goes to the police station, she surely wanted to see the twins.

Taking the last curve brings her into the neighborhood she had grown familiar with. The street was bustling with brisk walking adults, whiny kids and ignorant young people. Most shops were closed when she passed by and she knew she was late.

The old building comes in full view with its worn led post. The lights around the letters had gone off over a short while and  Peyton never allowed her to replace it. The walls of the shop needed a fresh coat of paint and a couple of new pieces of furniture to replace the old one as well as a new bell.

Opening the door, a small sound of the bell chimes above her head and she steals the opportunity to glance around the room before going in and spots a few familiar faces but she was already not in the mood to talk.

She delves her hands deeper into her large coats and takes slow strides inside, careful not to disrupt anyone. The constant peace and stillness in the coffee shop have always been the secret to bring in more customers.

The twins come rushing towards her, throwing their arms around her waist in a warm hug. They had grown taller over the past few weeks and guilt creeps through her for not checking up on them.

"Is Peyton gone already?", Alli whisper asks and the twins nod, taking her hands in theirs, they lead her towards the back door where they did bake their cupcakes and their cookies so she could change.

Hastily throwing the customized tee shirt over her head, she pulls her hair up in a tight ponytail before adding her little blue apron. She had outgrown it but it was given to her by Neveah so all persuasions to change it proved futile. She hangs her bag on the hook on her way out, bumping into Scott, the new waiter.

"I haven't seen you in a while Alli.", he mumbles while leaning against the doorpost, holding her so she wouldn't fall. He had grown a bit athletic over the days and it brought a small smile to Alli's face.

"Of course. See you growing bigger and more handsome. Mrs Nelly's daughter must be in trouble.", Alli teases him lightly, pats his shoulder playfully and walks out of the room. Scott has had a lifetime crush on Roberta and everyone knew about it so it brought a small blush on his pale cheeks hearing about her.

The night slips by more quickly than planned and the shop was getting busier, from hot chocolate to cappuccino to coffee and tea. From making light conversations with familiar customers to cleaning tables.

Allison scans the room and her eyes land on the last person in the shop she hadn't spoken to. He was engrossed in reading some papers and the last thing she wanted to do was to disrupt him.

Looking closely, she noticed he was on his third cup and it looked like he wasn't ready to leave yet. The ambiguity surrounding him draws her in as she's filled with curiosity to see who it was and why he was doing what he was doing. But he needed his privacy. She groans internally and saunters over to the cash register, taking orders for take-outs.

Peyton walks in with a couple of bags in her hands, and an exhausted mask is drawn all over her face. She had been working too hard on her daughter's case and now wasn't the time to give up. They had already caught the murderer, why give up the case?