24. Dear Neveah

Allison eyes the shoebox containing Neveah's letters sitting on top of her study table. It had been a while since she had written anything, she had a couple of papers to write which made her tirelessly busy.

She was running late and she knew it. Thinking about Lucas and his family took too much of her time that she barely closed her eyes to sleep. What happened to them? She continues to wonder while she chooses her outfit.

She settles on a purple crop top and faded ripped boyfriend jeans. She ties her hair up in a tight ponytail, finishes it off with light make-up, hangs a brand new Chanel bag on her hand and stares at herself in the vintage mirror pinned to the wall. She had done well to hide the dark bags that showed she hadn't slept all night and it was quite an achievement.

Grabbing a banana and a granola bar from the kitchen, she hops into her sleek BMW car and drives out of her house. She knocks off the garbage bin on the side but ignores it and drives off. Everything has been perfect since they moved in and a little mistake won't be anything. She studies her mirror and watches the garbage can rolling down to the road, spilling its content. She groans and parks the car, returning to put the bin back.

Music is blaring from her speakers as she eats her breakfast in her car. She takes the picture out of the glove compartment and puts it neatly into her bag. She needed to ask about it which is why she's waiting patiently in her car for Lucas to pull up with his beat-up car.

The bell rings and she rolls her eyes in sheer annoyance, taking her bag out of the car before locking it. Craning her head, she didn't see him at his usual spot at the far end of the parking lot and she rolls her eyes, more annoyed.

"It's been ages, Allison", a cheery voice calls from behind her and she turns to meet Vanessa looking all glamorous in her branded Micheal Kors jumpsuit, pink hair and sweet makeup. Looking like she's ready for a photoshoot instead of lectures.

"Yeah, been uh busy.", Alli shifts uncomfortably while she lies through her teeth. Vanessa isn't particularly her friend so it's a little weird seeing her all close by. They took a couple of classes together in the past years so that may be it.

"My birthday party is coming up and I have a party at my house. You should come and that Chanel bag is just so lit!!", she coos, knitting her eyebrows together in feigned jealousy.

"I'll see you around Nessa. Send me an invitation.", Alli walks past her, thinking about the picture in her possession again.

The rest of her morning slips by slowly and soon enough, afternoon comes by and she's on the hunt searching for Lucas again. He had to explain everything to her and she barely had the patience to wait till he was ready anymore.

Her last paper hadn't been like she had expected but that wasn't what she cared about. She studied a little and she didn't even regret not studying enough because the paper was more difficult than she could imagine but if she failed, her influential mum could pull some strings for her to retake the test. She hated using her mum's influence to get what she wants but now, she barely cared.

Gabriella had been her nanny since she was three and even though she had her own family, she made sure she was there for her every time. Before her, there had been a lot of nannies and babysitters because her parents had always been too busy to hang out with her.

Before she turned five, Gaby brought her two sons to keep her company whenever she wanted to play with other kids her age. She remembers the two scrawny little boys clearly. How Lucas was closed off but protective and possessive. Logan was the sweeter one, caring, polite and easy to hang around with.

Till she was seven, Gaby and those boys were all she had aside from her absentee parents. On the days her parents were home, they sent the boys away but they'd find their way into her room through the ladder their dad owned. They were close like that.