30. Dear Neveah (Epilogue)

Five months later;

stifling a yawn, Allison skips heartily on the stair to join her mother in the living room. A sour expression graces her face as she tries hard to not trip. After the rain last night, all she needed was a really good cuddle in her sheets but her mother was set to arrive at six.

Wrapping the blanket tighter around her body, she reaches the front door and unlocks the door. She's immediately greeted by her mother's straight face. Staring at her for a second, she notices that her mother had cut her hair to her shoulders and had it in large ombré beach waves. The gold highlights brightened her features, making her look younger.

The only thing that reminded her that she was standing in front of her own mother is the ocean blue eyes they had in common. And her mother's curvy body. Her lips being her usual bold red.

Allison studies her mother demeanour and inhaled slowly. The awkward silence between them had already started to escalate. From the charcoal black heels on her feet, up to the plain white jumpsuit, Allison's eyes finally land on her mother's face. Perfect makeup.

"Can I come in?", her mother inquires awkwardly, breaking the silence between them. She looks behind her and points to the two travelling bags behind her. She flashes her daughter a weak smile before bending to grab the handles of her bags.

Allison steps aside, letting her mother walk in, loud clicks of her heels accompanying her. She was confused. She still recognized her mother but was she supposed to hug her or something? She wonders and inhales sharply. They spoke sometimes. She came home for some hours. The relationship between them had been civil.

Turning around, she massages her temples roughly as she joins her mother in the hall. She knew her mother loved her but found it difficult showing it. She could still remember the nights where her mother would come into her room and kiss her forehead or read her a book even though she was half asleep.

Those were the years she was in kindergarten and her lower grades. Even before her dad left them.

"Do I have permission to hug you?", her mother's frail voice halts her thoughts. She freezes in her tracks for a second before nodding. Things had always been uncomfortable between them, but was her mother serious about coming back to make up for all those moments? Could she?

She watches her mother take hurried steps towards her and throws her arms around her. She knew her mother to be emotional but she always knew how to control it. The mild but strong whiff of her mother's perfume teases her nose lightly, making her inhale slowly.

Allison wraps her arms around her mother, hugging her back. Her heart was pounding in her chest, her head fuzzy and her eyes filled with tears.

"I'm sorry Allison. I'm so sorry baby. I know I'm the worst and I'm not asking you to forgive me now. Take your time. I'm here for as long as you need me.", Emily whispers into her daughter's ear amidst sobs.

"If you're sure you want to start over, I'll give you a chance mum, but if you'll go back on your worldwide tours, you have two minutes to leave.", Allison retorts sharply and stepped back, wrapping her blanket around her tighter.

"I'm going to freshen up, I have a lot of plans today.", Allison spits harshly at her mother, spinning on her heels to leave the scene. She lets the tears fall down her cheeks, failing miserably at letting them back.

She pushes her door open and jumps on her bed. Staring at the ceiling, the buzzing sound from her phone distracts her, earning a growl. Stretching out her arm, she grabs her phone and a small smile plays on her lips. She cleans her cheeks harshly with the back of her hand before answering the phone.