Happy New Years

"Maybe some pickled plums?" Tohru asked, reading off a shopping list. "I could make your favorite rice balls!" She said, grabbing more ingredients and placing them in the basket.

I adjusted the basket on my arm and followed behind, smiling at the girl. She was always thinking of others. "What are your plans for the New Year, Tohru?"

She paused, her cheeks flushed; "well, I usually celebrate the holidays with my mom... and my grandpa went to Hawaii with my family so I was hoping Shigure wouldn't mind if I stayed at the Sohma house."

I nodded my head, "I don't see why not, it's the least Shigure could do." I wasn't known for holding grudges, but I was still angry with my older cousin.

"What are your plans for the New Years, Kana-Chan?" Tohru asked, even though she probably already knew.

Last night Tohru gave a heartfelt speech about spending the holiday with our family, so Yuki will attend the banquet while Kyo and I hangout at the main estate, participating in the celebration together. "Visiting the family, like you encouraged." I smiled, giving her a nudge.

Tohru smiled and continued shopping. When we got home, Yuki and Kyo were ready to head the to the main estate. Yuki's was dressed for the proper banquet, while Kyo and I dressed for the holiday. Another zodiac member, Ri-Chan, had delivered a new kimono for us, mine was a gorgeous black silk fabric with vibrant shades of blues, pinks, and purples of flowers. The waist was white which tied to a large bow in the back. Kyo wore a red kimono with black attire, it was very handsome on him. Yuki was given light blue kimono with grey attire, perfect for him.

"Oh Kana-Chan! You look gorgeous!" Tohru squealed as she twisted my hair onto the top of my head, pulling it back.

My cheeks grew warm as I watched her handy work in the mirror, "thanks."

"There you go! You are all ready for your party! I need to get a camera!" She jumped up and ran out of the room. When I made my way down the stairs, Tohru was nagging Kyo and Yuki to take a picture together, which caused a lot of yelling and arguing.

I walked next to them and grabbed Kyo's ear, "I want a nice family photo! You, Yuki, and myself! Now behave!" I growled, causing him to slap my hand away. Both boys stood on either side of me; both extremely unhappy.

Tohru giggled, "okay! Smile for the camera!" She said, causing me to smile and the boys to remain neutral. After the click, Tohru passed the camera to me, Kyo looked older, more stern. Like time had worn him down. Yuki looked sad, lonely maybe.

"It looks great, thank you." I said, handing her the camera back. "What are you going to do tonight?"

Tohru smiled, "oh you know, watch the holiday specials on the television and then make me wish at sunrise! Oh and of course enjoy some New Years mochi!"

I smiled, "if you need anything or get lonely, call me. I can be back here in ten minutes."

Tohru nodded.

"And make sure you lock up, people get weird over the holidays!" Kyo chided, like lecturing a child.

"Okay I will!" Tohru said, waving us out the door.

We walked as a group to the main estate, the boys seemed on edge, both nervous and edgy. I looked back at Shigure, who rolled his eyes. "Hopefully no one tries to break in." He smirked, knowing he just opened a can of worms.

"She's the kind of girl who would let the robber in and offer him some tea." Kyo muttered, his face paling.

Yuki gulped, "she'd probably fluff his pillow for him while he got cleaned up."