Summer Surprise

"Wow, Ri-Chan seems very nervous around people." Tohru said as we walked to school.

I sighed and nodded my head, too tired to speak. Ri-Chan was the most draining of all the zodiacs. His anxiety was a huge trigger and when he panicked, it sent not only himself but myself into a tizzy too. He constantly yelled about how sorry he was for saying the simplest things, he was exhausting even to the boys. Ri-chan's bond on its own was like four to me.

"You should have stayed in bed." Kyo said, yanking my bag from my arm and slinging it over his own.

I shook my head, continuing to drag my feet. It was the last day of class until summer vacation, I couldn't skip just because I was tired. "I'll be fine. I'll take a nap after school" I mumbled, yawning after. Hiro has also been spending a lot of time at the house now that Kisa has bonded so well with Tohru and his attitude was draining as well. He was jealous of Tohru because she took up most of Kisa's attention, causing him to a snippy little brat that my brother wanted to kick out. Tohru never lets him though.

Yuki sighed, he was annoyed about something but wouldn't say. His bond was jumping all over the place; he's probably regretting that he agreed to be class president after this summer.

"Kana? Maybe you should go lie down in the nurse's office? You're looking a little pale." Tohru whispered, in the middle of second period. Teacher didn't have much for us to do. She wanted to make sure everything was put together for the beginning of the fall, which made most of the class a study hall. Yuki had left to go discuss future president work, while my brother talked with a couple guys in the class. I would catch peeking at me every now and then.

I sighed, this girl was too nice. She worried about everyone but herself. Nodding my head, I stood up slowly and walked towards the door. Our teacher didn't even raise a brow, she probably noticed I wasn't myself today. The nurses office was on the other side of the campus, just the thought of the distance made my knees weak. I leaned against the wall as I walk, the more steps I took, the slower I became. The hallway began to tilt to the right as I continued walking, even though I couldn't remember where I was even going at this point.

"Hey Sohma, we meet again!" A deep voice startled me. "You look like you're struggling..." his voice trailed off. I looked over as my knee dropped to the ground, my eyelids heavy. "Hey! Easy!" He said, quickly grabbing my waist before I hit the ground. I could feel his arm scoop under my knees, bringing me into the air. My head rested on his chest, my ear on his heart. It was racing, like a hummingbirds wings. I looked up at his face, his jaw was clenched as he sped down the hall, his green eyes on a mission.

I should be nervous that this stranger I've met once had me in his arms, basically running down the hallway; but I wasn't. I felt safe, comfortable; like I know he was going to make sure I was okay. I haven't felt this way ever, never had I felt this safe with someone. It was a like a warm blanket tucked around me as he ran, the swaying motions were soothing, rocking me to sleep almost instantly.

"You are more than welcome to take that monster out of my house, but you will not touch my daughter!" Our father yelled.

Kyo and I were sent to our rooms when Papa came to the door. I remember my brother grabbing my hand and pulling me against the wall, so we could hear the conversation. His small hand covered my mouth and shushed me as the adults talked.

"That monster killed his own mother. He drove her to jump in front of the train, but my daughter had nothing to do with it. Her only flaw is that she loves that beast of a human!" Father's words were slurred, probably drinking beer number four or five.

Papa remained quiet until our father finished his rant, "this is not the environment to raise a child. Do you think you daughter would want to stay here and watch you drink your life away?"