25. Fear

-Jack-

-Jack-

I had a weird dream that night. It started the same way my nightmares always did. Arch was in it, and so was Henry. I tried to save my mate from him, trying to stop the shadow from hurting my love, but I couldn't even get close. Henry only laughed at my futile attempt when he towered over the lifeless body of my mate with a bloody knife in his hand.

But then I snapped awake, nearly falling off my bed in the process. It took me a moment to understand what I was seeing. I was in my bed, yes, but the house was gone. The house and the territory were gone. I stared at the snowy emptiness around me, not feeling cold, even though I was getting covered in snow. There were trees and mountains in the distance. I had to be still dreaming, but this was nothing like I had dreamed before.

Then, a shadowy figure appeared behind the trees and approached me. Not a shadow, as it turned out. It was the gray wolf. I just sat there as he stopped at the bottom end of my bed, looking at me with his yellow eyes. It was... curious.

"Hi?" I muttered.

The wolf barked at me and started running away. I watched him go for as long as I could see it. When it disappeared, I lifted my eyes and jumped back, falling into the snow. There was a pair of giant yellow eyes in the sky staring at me! The second I noticed them, they blinked, and vanished.

And I snapped awake.

Shivers ran down my spine as I thought about the eyes in the sky. Not wolf eyes. Human, but yellow. I had an awful feeling of being watched, and suddenly, my little cabin didn't feel as safe and secure as before.

"Are you here?" I asked with a shivering voice. "What do you want from me?"

There was no reply.

"I'm going mad," I muttered, rubbing my eyes.

"You're not going mad."

Again, I jumped back, hitting my back against the wall. Arch stood at the end of my bed, looking out of the window with a troubled expression on his face.

"Arch? How... How did you get in...?" I muttered in shock, and he turned to look at me.

It was not Arch. He had yellow eyes. When he moved, the outlines of his silhouette were twitching, turning almost blurry. I could almost see someone else standing in his place, like he was covering behind the image of my mate.

"You're not Arch," I nearly spat at him. "Who are you?"

"They cannot know I'm here, or they will try to stop me," he breathed out with an unfamiliar voice that was mixed in with Arch's. "I can only visit you in your dreams."

"So... This is a dream as well?"

"Indeed."

"Why should I trust you?" I asked, squinting my eyes.