iv

1203 words

published 6/10/2021

tw: mentions of breakdowns, alcohol, and a kiss

cw: sapity/quacknap angst, normal angst, and fluff

karl pov | at his apartment

i walk out of the kitchen with two mugs of coffee. i walk over to alex who is sitting on the couch and hand him the mug in my left hand. i made sure to add whipped cream like he always likes.

i had never seen him this sad, it wasnt something i was used to. i debated calling nick over, since he seemed to calm alex down and keep him safe.

alex must have known i was spacing out because i was knocked back into reality by his fingers snapping in front of my face. i look at him and see his puffy eyes. my heart falls at the sight. he is my best friend and i am supposed to be protecting him from these types of things. [sir you are spacing out again]

"im sorry for causing trouble at the party." i hear alex choke out the words before starting to tear up again. i set down my mug and grab his to do the same. after setting them down on the table, i open my arms and he accepts, embracing me and crying into my shoulder.

"im just not good around alcohol, it reminds me of.. him." i whisper a soft "shh" as he starts sniffling and i run my hand along his back gently patting it in the most comforting way. [bro i would totally hug karl if i saw him he would be so sweet]

"you are okay alex, i can call michelle and tell her you cant make it if you want?" he does another sniff before speaking.

"i.. will go." i tap his back gently.

"in that case we need to be leaving soon, are you sure?" he nods and i sigh. he shouldnt be working right now. but maybe nick will show up and talk to him.

alex pov | at the bakery

i opened the back door and let karl in before stepping in myself. it was only three minutes before our shift and orders were already buzzing on the screens.

i quickly ran to a screen checking it and finding a batch of cookies ordered that had to be picked up in an hour. i hurried over to the pantry, forgetting my previous breakdown and grabbed the ingredients i needed.

i grab the bowl and add in flour and sugar sifting them together. i then add brown sugar and cookie chunks. i grabbed another bowl that was smaller and poured in vanilla extract, milk, and vegetable oil. i poured the mixture into the bigger bowl and stir. when the dough is at a good consistency i grab it out of the bowl.

knead
flip
knead
flip
knead
flip

i did this over and over before rolling the dough into balls and placing it on a pan and putting it in the oven. [i literally just explained how i make cookies]

i see only one other order on the screen which is not due for four more hours, so i walk up to the register where karl sat.

"hey, we are all caught up on orders other than one due in four hours. a few of the other workers stayed over their shift." he nodded and tapped the sear next to him, motioning for me to sit. i gladly take the seat.

"how are you feeling? you went through a lot." i sigh. i wanted to stay off of the topic as much as possible, but i told karl the truth. he was my best friend.

"im better. the bakery helps calm me down, its one of the reasons why i work here." i see a grin appear on karl's face.

"is the other reason to see my hot face." i laugh. he always knew how to put a smile on my face. [in a best friend way not lover way]

i hear the bell ring and a familiar voice fills the room.

"how are you, mi amor?" the voice mumbled the last part, but i managed to hear it. i turn and see nick and clay walking to the register.

i run out from behind it and jump onto nick.

[sorry this photo was just super cute]

he hugged me back immediately and i wrapped my legs around his waist.

"geez looks like someone is happy today." [i see you dirty minded freaks.. dw im one of you] i laugh slightly and look up at him. he makes a weird face and i mimic him sticking my tounge out after. he laughs and pulls me back in for another hug.

karl pov | at the bakery

i watch as nick and alex hug, laughing under my breath. i feel a pair of eyes on me and look up seeing clay staring at me.

"take a picture it lasts longer." [have i used that before idk if i have] he just laughs and walks over to me. he walks behind the register and takes the seat alex was previously sitting in. he lets out a deep sigh and rests his hand on my thigh.

i lean back against the wall waiting for more customers, ignoring the hand on my thigh. i look at alex and nick who are now red and blushing heavily.

"why are you two looking like tomatoes?" alexs head quickly turns towards me and he sticks his tounge out.

"something you two should have done already." i roll my eyes and he looks back at nick who gives him a light peck on the lips.

"oh my god. alex! you are gay?! why did you never tell me??" alex drops from nicks hands and he wals over to me grabbing my wrist and pulling me into the kitchen.

"dude hekissedmeanditwasawesome andnowifeellikeiam goinftodiefrombeinginlove" i stare at him in shock.

"slow down my brain doesnt process stuff that quickly." he takes a deep breath and speaks again.

"he kissed me and it was awesome and now i feel like i am going to die from being in love." he stares at me and i stare back, returning the favor. "well?? answer!"

i just laugh and give him a hug.

"go get your man." i walk to the oven and grab the cookies out letting them cool.

i walk back out and sit down next to clay again. minutes later the bell rings. i look up.

this was going to be interesting

——————
a/n aaaah who do you think it is?
also this chapter is really rushed and i did it in like forty minutes or so, because i hadnt started it yet. anyway, big news.
thank you so much for 100 views! i love you guys and this story, it is the first one i am truly motivated to write, and you guys are part if the reason for that.
this is my shortest chapter so far, but i wanted to add some fluff and angst before a huge plot. so this is basically a filler chapter. again, thank you guys tons, especially k for being there for me and talking to me through this, love you bestie!