very disappointed in you

sage.

i typically started my mornings with a bagel and coffee, but according to my mom, you can't have caffeine when you're pregnant-- which is stupid.

caffeine was what kept me going throughout the day. i could already tell this was going to be a rough pregnancy, especially because i was quite small. so i didn't have much room for a baby to grow.

typically when people stay over, my mom makes a large breakfast. when i woke up, i could already smell bacon from downstairs-- which made me want to vomit.

i jumped out of jj's arms and sprinted to the bathroom. i didn't expect him to follow me, but eventually he showed up to hold my hair back. he rubbed my back lightly and whispered to me. "shh. let it out."

"sage! jj!" my mother's voice yells from the bottom of the steps. "is everything okay?"

"yes!" i yell back, before throwing up again.

"okay! whenever you're ready.. wake up west and come down for breakfast!"

i nod, and step away from the toilet. jj smiles at me, and wipes my mouth with a towel.

"this is a good look. puke on your cheek and three stitches on your forehead."

"shut up." i chuckle before exiting the bathroom. jj follows me until i tell him he can go downstairs while i wake up west.

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

jj.

of course sage suggested i went downstairs alone. i could only assume that her father was waiting to grill me with questions.

"morning, jj." mrs. lexen says, greeting me. "take a seat." she says, pointing towards their dining room table.

i haven't ever really had a fancy breakfast or a real meal at a dinner table like this before. my home life was clearly very different from sage lexen's.

i take a seat at the table, and immediately notice the scent of rum from the other end of the table. i look towards that direction, and my eyes land on mr. lexen. he was holding a newspaper, which was covering his face, but i knew it was him.

i wondered if mrs. lexen had actually told him about sage's pregnancy yet.

soon, the lexen siblings came chasing each other down the stairs.

"west, i swear to god. i will beat your ass!" sage shouts.

"langauge." mr. lexen mumbles.

i turn towards the two blondes, and chuckle a bit. they run past mrs. lexen as she flips a few pancakes, then to the fridge.

"what are y'all doing?" mrs. lexen questions.

"i swear to god if you take the last bit of apple juice i will kill myself." sage says dramatically.

west rolls his eyes, and grabs the carton of apple juice. "i win."

"west!"

"sage!" he repeats, mimicking her dramatically. "it's not the end of the world, sage."

"that's the only thing i will be able to have this morning without throwing up. please."

sympathy for the girl fills my body.

"well, you shouldn't have gotten knocked up then." west fires back.

"at least i can actually get laid, virgin." sage replies quickly.

"sage." mr. lexen says from the end of the table. "sit down and eat." he still had the newspaper covering his face.

west, sage, and mrs. lexen take their seats at the table. sage sits in between west and i. mrs. lexen sits alone on the side parallel to us.

"i'm very disappointed in you, sage." mr. lexen states before taking a bite of his fruit.

west continues shoving food in his mouth, ignoring the conversation.

"west, slow down." mrs. lexen suggests.

"you could've at least gotten pregnant from a financially stable man, like rhett."

sage looks at her rings, which she fidgets with. i have noticed she does this when she's nervous.

i look back and forth between mr. lexen and his drink that rested on the table. there was no doubt it was filled with alcohol. he takes a sip from it, earning a glare from west.

"she's being repsonsible." west comments.

"im sorry?" mr. lexen questions.

"she's having the baby, she gave jj an out, she's avoiding caffeine, and alcohol--which you're making especially hard." west continues.

"west," sage says. "stop."

i rest my hand on her thigh.

"stand up." mr. lexen demands to west.

west does as he's told, and stands. his father does the same, but quickly slaps his son's face. nobody flinches except me. it was quite obvious this was a common occurrence.

a tear drops from sage's face-- she must know what it's like.

"i'm gonna escort jj home, then go talk to rhett." sage states. "may jj and i be excused?"

her mother nods. "nice seeing you, jj. remember, you're always welcome here."

mr. lexen rolls his eyes at her last comment. i ignore him, and follow sage.