apologies.

jj and i walk into the wreck. the whole island knows about my pregnancy because of the whole rhett fiasco. most of the adults don't have instagram or anything, but their children do. the teens would talk, and then the parents overheard it.

we get a lot of stares anywhere we go. jj knows that it makes me super uncomfortable. i'm already incredibly self conscious enough about the amount of weight i've been gaining. everyone's judgmental looks don't make it any better.

pope and john b talk to kie across the counter.

"hey, guys." jj says. he walks up behind them with a hand on my back. the smell of the wreck still makes me sick, but i can handle it. "i thought we were gonna meet at the chateau."

"yeah, we were hungry though." pope answers.

"hey, kie, can she get a burger? no tomatoes." jj orders for me. he looks to me. i'm looking around the room and watching as everyone looks at me, but i can still feel jj looking at me. he turns to look at where i'm looking. he puts his hand on my waist and turns me to him. "hey, don't worry about them. you've got a great support system right here. they're all assholes."

i nod. he's right. i do have a great support system.

the pogues have been especially great recently. they've not only supported jj, but me too. im glad i finally found a group of people i feel safe with. i think i deserve it at this point, right?

i sit on a bar stool next to jj. he talks to john b and pope about fishing i think. i'm not sure.

kie comes back with two plates. one is a plate full of fries, which i'm sure is for john b and pope. the other has a burger and fries. she places the burger and fries in front of me.

"thanks, kie." i smile. i push the plate in between jj and i. i always let him eat my fries.

"how is your mom, sage?" kie asks. "is she feeing better?"

"i have no idea. i was going to see her a few days ago, but west started yelling at me and—" i stop, "yeah, i haven't seen her. i guess im a little nervous about talking to her."

"that's fair." kie says. "i'm sorry you're going through all that."

"thanks, kie. i appreciate that."

"aw, look at my two best girls getting along." jj smiles. i nudge him with my elbow.

"you ruined the moment." i joke. jj places his hand on his heart as if he's offended. the pogues and i laugh at him.

"sage, i consider you a pogue." john b says. "i mean, what's more pogue than getting knocked up by jj maybank at 17?"

"i'm going to move past your comment and thank you for calling me a pogue." i say. "thank you, john b. it's an honor."

once we've finished all our food, we go out to the hms. the boat is really shitty, if i'm honest, but i love it. we spend most of our days on that boat. by the time i get home, i'm always completely sunburned.

i watch the pogues jump in the water together. i would too, but i just decide not to today. jj splashes me with water. while kie, john b, and pope swim around, jj comes up to the boat.

"is everything okay, sage?"

"yeah, i'm okay."

"are you lying?"

"no, i'm not lying."

"okay." jj says slowly. he splashes me with water again.

"if you splash me one more time, maybank,"

"what're you gonna do?"

"well, i don't know, but just know it'll be bad."

jj laughs. "you're adorable."

he joins his friends. i stay on the boat and scroll through my phone.

rhett
sage

rhett
sage i heard about your dad
that sucks. im sorry that happened.
read 2 minutes ago

rhett
im also sorry about what i posted on instagram. i shouldn't have done that to you. i hope you're happy livin' the pogue life. i know you always talked about it. i still love you.

sage
thank you for apologizing. i don't forgive you, but thank you.

rhett
im always here for you, sage lexen.

sage
i really don't want you to be. i don't love you. jj and i are happy. leave me be.