Chapter 5

⚠️Trigger Warning: Mention of abuse.⚠️

Remington's POV:
After I changed Emilio's bandage, he led me out of his room and down the hall and back to the elevator. We entered and he pressed the button to take us to the 5th floor.

"Thankyou for having my phone given back," I said to break the awkward silence.

"No problem. Anything you need or want ask me and I will get it for you. After we're done, I will show you around. Thankyou again for what you did," he replied while looking at me.

I am usually shy and nervous around new people so I kept my eyes trained on the floor. I looked back up at him for a split second while answering,

"It's no problem. You're welcome."

The elevator dinged and he walked out. I followed him down a hallway to the end. There was a big door that had this pad in replace of a doorknob. Emilio pressed his palm to it and a blue laser line appeared and moved from the top of the pad to the bottom and back to the top and it lit up green. My mouth dropped open. I thought this was the kinda thing you only see in movies. How rich is this man? What does he do that he needs this much security? Emilio noticed my shocked face and chuckled lightly and shook his head. He held the door open with one hand and gestured inside the room with the other.

I walked inside the office and it was huge. There was a big oak desk sitting off to one side with some chairs in the front and a couch and some chairs along with a T.V. on the wall in between the desk and the other side. There was also a bar with expensive alcohols on the farthest wall opposite of the desk. The room was a light brown color with tan couches and chairs. The room has a shiny hardwood flooring. There are some family picture frames on the wall near the desk. There are some plants scattered around and there is some shelves filled with books. I love reading books and some were limited edition series such as Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Great Gatsby. Pride and Prejudice was one of my favorite books. I walked over to the book shelf and gently brushed my fingers over the books.

"You like to read," asked Emilio. He was now sitting in the chair behind his desk.

"Yes, I've always loved to read. It was a way for me to escape reality; even if it was for a few minutes, it let my mind be at peace. My mom used to read to me until she got sick," I explained. I've never opened up about my mom. I feel this sudden drawl to Emiliano; it makes me feel like I can tell him anything.

"What happened to your mother?" He asked.

I tensed and dropped my hand from the books. I don't like talking about my mother. It was a painful subject for me and I got very emotional talking about her. I don't even have a picture of her up in the apartment because I can't look at her. I blame myself everyday for what happened to her. She was a beautiful soul and didn't deserve the hand she was dealt.

"You said you wanted to discuss something with me," I said while walking towards him. I hoped he would drop the subject about my mother. Emilio looked at me in puzzlement. I guess he took that as a hint I did not want to talk about my mother and he didn't question it. He looked down and opened a drawer of his desk. He pulled out a manilla folder and sat it on top his desk.

"I had one of my men do a background check on you," he explained.

My heart started beating really fast. I had my old life erased and had a death certificate wrote for me. See my old name was Chloe McKay. I lived in Ashland in Nebraska before I moved here to New York. I met Venus only a short time after. Venus is a technical analyst. She works with the FBI. She knew what happened and wanted me to be safe so she hacked in to the database and put a death certificate with my old name. She created a new life for me. She put that I was up for adoption and both my parents were deceased and made up some things for me. Basically I stayed in an orphanage at Rosedale until I was of age. I played soccer and softball and did track. I have no other loving relatives. When I got out of the orphanage, I went to a vet tech center and learned how to do certain things and got a job at Bayside Animal Clinic. I have a very boring life.