⚜Chapter 17: Lone Wolf

A/N: Oct 2, 2021

Gosh, It's already October? Time flies... Back to school and already dying 🥲 I hope everyone is doing okay. Grab a hot cup of chocolate milk and enjoy this chapter❤

P.s: My published paperbacks are on a 20-40% sale on the first week of October! It ends on October 8th so make sure to grab a copy if you can. The promotion is only available on my website: Hidee's store

The link is in my Wattpad bio/most recent Wattpad post.

~~~

Q/A: Is it cold or hot in October in your country?

It's chilly where I am 🥶

⚜⚜⚜

***

I walked over to Vadim's desk and he quickly stood up to leave. I tried to grab his arm but he pulled away. 

"Vadim, wait," I said, but he didn't spare me a glance, quickening his pace. I tried to keep up, lowering my voice. "Vadim, I know this isn't the best time-"

"I told you, Axis," he said. I frowned when he didn't use his usual 'friend'. "We can't be seen together. You're Rankless."

I felt like he just insulted the mom I never had. 

"Yeah, yeah, I get that, but it's urgent. I need your help. You're the only friend I have."

A humorless cackle escaped his throat.

"Friends don't exist in this hell hole. You want to get yourself hurt? Go make a friend. You want to risk being betrayed? Go make a friend. You want to get stabbed in the back and left to bleed dead on the floor? Go make a friend." His eyes darted towards me. "You want to survive? Learn to fight on your own."

Well, Vadim was never one to be full of sunshine and rainbows.    

"You said you wanted me to stick around longer than your old roommate," I pressed, trying to reason with him. "Come on, Vadim, if I'm gone, who else is going to tolerate your Russian mumble rap when you sleep?"

He glanced at me and he sighed. 

"Not in public," he said. "We're roommates, we can speak tonight."

I smiled and nodded, watching him pace away. Well, at least he still cared, in his own Russian way. During the rest of the day, people would whisper and stare at me. Someone even pushed me, but I knew better than to fight back. I couldn't fight, not yet anyway. I was supposed to eat dinner, but spending thirty minutes being made fun of didn't seem appetizing, so I headed directly to the boy dorms and waited for Vadim in our room. I sat up when the door opened. Vadim didn't speak until he closed the door behind him. He locked it and plopped on his bed, sprawling his legs out. He tossed something towards me and I caught it.

An apple.

"So what do you want to speak about?" he asked.

"Do you know who messed with my lockers today?"

He cast a skeptical look. "Why?"

"I need to get revenge, why else?" I said, stating the obvious. He looked surprised. 

"I thought you were a soft hearted boy."

"I am," I said. "Until someone gives me a reason not to be."

And right now, I had plenty. Vadim rubbed the nape of his neck, hesitant. 

"Peter and Clyde," he finally said. 

"Do you know what their room number is?" 

"81, I think," he said. 

"You think or you know?"

"Know."

I smiled. "Thanks."

"What are you going to do?" he asked hesitantly. 

"I'm going to leave them a nice little surprised. I have to thank them for the gift they left me in my lockers."

Vadim smirked, his lips a little less stiff.

"Something tells me you're not as soft-hearted as I thought," he chuckled. 

"What do you mean?" I asked, fluttering my eyelashes. "I'm lovely."

We both smiled, but then Vadim quickly cleared his voice, looking away. I guess it made him uncomfortable being friendly with a Rankless. I knew it was a long shot, but I decided to ask nonetheless.

"Would it be too much if I asked for your help? It'd be easier if I had an accomplice."

"I take my precautions. You're on your own on this one."

I nodded, my shoulders slightly slumping. "Thanks, though. Really."

He opened his mouth to say something, stopped, and lay down on his bed, his back turned towards me. 

"Watch out for yourself," he mumbled. I smiled sadly. 

"Don't worry. I always have."

⚜⚜⚜

Yes, yes, this chapter is short but if you swipe down you'll see that I did a double update 😂

Please don't forget to leave a voteeee🌷🌷