Chapter 14

Chapter 14

                Max and I haven’t been able to see each other as much as we use to lately. With him and Cassandra being together now, I didn’t exactly get to hang around them as much as I would. I tried it once, but I ended up being left out- the ultimate epitome of a third wheel. But, after Max found out about how I was humiliated at Katie’s party last weekend, he made sure that he found time in his busy schedule to comfort me. “Thanks for cancelling your plans with Cassandra tonight.” I gave Max a weak smile, as I carried over the box of fresh pizza that I just got delivered at the front door.

                Max kicked his feet up at my coffee table, sinking back lazily on my couch. “I would do anything to spend quality time with my best friend,” He joked, grabbing a cheesy slice of pizza out of the box, “especially if she has food for me.”

                Rolling my eyes, I punched him square in the shoulder gently, before taking the empty spot beside him. “Way to make me feel more loved than I already am.” I sarcastically said, referring to the night when everyone ganged up on me at Katie’s party.

                Max’s features soften, as he wrapped an arm around me. He pulled me closer to him, as I laid my head on his shoulder. “I didn’t mean it like that, Riley.” He whispered, muffling his words in my hair. “I wish I was there to beat the shit out of those immature low lives, who think it’s funny to gang up on one girl.”

                I shuddered, just remembering the feeling when I had my first cup of beer thrown at me. I bit my lower lip, before letting out a sigh. “I should’ve had it coming, though.” I muttered. “There was obviously a reason why Katie invited me to her stupid party, and it was to humiliate me.”

                Max kissed the top of my head, trying to soothe me. “Don’t worry too much about it. They’ll hardly remember it once they realize how big of a massive bitch Katie really is.”

                I laughed, before burying my face into Max’s shoulder. “I wish.”

                Max stayed quiet for a long moment, and for a second, I thought he had fallen asleep. But, I heard him let out a deep breath of air, before his hands moved over to my hair, and began brushing it with his fingers gently. “I never got to ask you, what’s going on between you and Everett now?” he asked. “I mean, he defended you from Katie yesterday, in front of everyone.”

                I let out a bitter laugh, before sighing. “I don’t even know, Max.” I paused. “I don’t even know what’s going on with us.”

                “Well, it’s never too late to get a boyfriend, you know.” Max teased, poking my cheek. “I mean, since I have Cassandra now, you might as well get Everett.”

                I sat up, slapping Max on the shoulder. “Max.” I snapped, as Max started to laugh. “Oh God, you’re such an idiot.”

*

                “Riley, are you busy tonight?” my mother came knocking on my bedroom door on the next Saturday afternoon.