03. Ricky

Gina looked stunning in her dress, showing off her long legs that made Nini feel insecure about her average 5'4" stature. Gina always towered over her and it didn't help that she was wearing heels tonight. They clicked against the floorboards as she ran and wrapped Nini into a big hug.

"Is he here?" Nini blurted our before her brain had time to process the question. Instantly, her face was red with embarrassment and she clasped her hands over her mouth.

Gina raised an eyebrow and smirked at her friend, "Don't tell me you're excited."

They were walking to the kitchen when Nini stated as she took off her coat and draped it over one of the kitchen chairs, "I'm not! I'm just curious, but that doesn't mean it's gonna turn into anything. I'm just meeting him, that's it. I don't have any expectations after that."

"God you're so pessimistic," Gina groaned.

Nini smiled back at her, "I'm just being realistic."

"Well, at least you're not meeting him on some sketchy dating app," Gina pointed out as she reached into the refrigerator and pulled out some orange juice placing it next to the half-full bottle of vodka on the counter. "Plus, EJ and I will be there so it won't be weird and awkward," she added.

Nini sighed, "This was a bad idea."

"Just have a drink and loosen up," Gina smirked as she handed her a cup that was filled to the brim. She poured herself one too and took a very generous sip, looking like a girl on a mission.

Nini looked down at her drink, thinking of her son hanging out at Carlos'. She didn't drink much with the last time that she got really wasted being the night she hooked up with Scott and conceived Xavier.

"I don't know-" she began to speak, making a move to put the cup down. Before she had a chance to tell her best friend she didn't feel like drinking tonight, the front door opened and two voices could be heard.

The boys came into view before Nini had a chance to react. There was EJ, and a tall, fit guy with short, dark hair that is perfectly quaffed all the time. Then there was the other guy, Ricky Bowen. He was shorter than EJ by and inch or two, incredibly handsome. Actually, no, he was downright sexy, one of the sexiest men Nini had ever seen. He had that whole mischievous, rugged sort of vibe about him, with thick curly brown hair and a small amount of stubble over a square jaw. Nini couldn't see the colour of his eyes though as they were hidden behind a pair of black sunglasses.

Her initial thought was that he was either high or hungover or something. but then, just as she was about to sneak Gina a look of disapproval, she paid a little more attention and caught sight of the brown Labrador in a leather harness clasped tightly in Ricky's left hand.

—

"Hi! You must be Ricky! I'm Gina, EJ's girlfriend" Gina beamed, unfazed by the situation. "This is Nini," she added, giving the brunette a little push forward.

Nini stabled herself so she wouldn't fall into Ricky.

He chuckled, "You must be my date for the evening. EJ told me absolutely nothing about you."

"Oh, trust me, I know the feeling," Nini murmured, forcing a smile before realising he wouldn't see it anyway.

There was an awkward silence for a moment. While Gina was usually so socially aware, she seemed oblivious to Nini's mounting anxiety levels. EJ seemed to notice, but he didn't talk much so he just stood there with his hands in his pockets.

It was Ricky that cut through the tension.

"So you go to NYU too then?"

—