05. Surprise

She didn't expect to see Ricky ever again, or maybe she was hoping she wouldn't. God, every time she allowed her mind to wander back to that night she cringed at herself for being so stupid and weird.

Seb and Carlos didn't ask about the double date fiasco when Nini came over the following morning to pick up Xavier, likely warmed by Gina beforehand not to say a word. Gina didn't try to set her up on another date over the next month either, and so February eased into March with little worry.

Well, if you consider little worry if you don't count an onslaught on homework from all of her professors, a lot of drama at the music store where she worked, and an ex-boyfriend that still wasn't doing anything to show he had any fatherly instincts within him.

"You look like crap," Carlos said when she walked into the store on Saturday afternoon.

It was a relatively slow day - as were most days in a music store at the age of Spotify and Apple Music - so Nini was hunched over the counter trying to get through some homework that was due on Monday morning.

She looked her friend up and down and commented, "So do you."

"Bitch I'm fabulous," Carlos said, flipping his hair over his shoulder and sending the girl a very dramatic look.

Nini rolled her eyes, "You're a dork."

"So are you," Carlos grinned. "So what's up? Why are you here all by yourself again?"

Nini sighed, "Kourtney didn't show up for her shift again and EJ couldn't come in to cover her, so Mike asked if I could handle the shift on my own. I told him it wouldn't be a problem, so he'll just be popping in later to help set up for open mic night. We've only gotten like five customers all morning so I've been coping."

Carlos frowned, "That sucks."

Nini nodded, "Yeah it does."

"So is Gina babysitting the little guy?"

"Yeah, until ten tonight so I can stick around with Mike and watch the performers."

"Are you performing too?" Carlos asked. He already had a very good idea of the answer but her like to tease Nini whenever he could. He gave his friend an an exaggerated look, accompanied by a knowing smirk.

"No..." Nini replied, fiddling with the pen in her grasp.

"Someday my dear, you're gonna get over that stage fright of and people will hear your amazing voice!"

Nini shook her head and decided to just ignore Carlos as she went back to her work with the curly-haired boy still on her mind.

-

Open mic night was a very new idea of Mike's - Nini's boss - to try and bring attention to the store and encourage people to do some shopping while they listened to local talent. Tonight was the first night they'd be putting the idea into motion, and if things worked out Mike was planning to make it a weekly thing - every Saturday from 4pm to 9pm.

Mike arrived to set up the little stage area at the front of the store while Nini continued to man the counter. They had a very surprising influx of customers so that Nini barely even saw the time pass. Before she knew it, it was four and a few people were trickling in, some with guitar cases on their backs.

One of these people gave Nini's stomach a very uncomfortable jolt when she realised none other than Ricky bowen was there.

—

As the curly-haired boy was making his way down the signup line to get his slot number, he was talking to a short boy with fiery red hair.

Nini ducked her head and used her hair as a curtain to hide her face from view before she realised she didn't have to.

He couldn't see her.

She tucked her hair behind her ear and sneaked another glance.

"Nini, come here for a sec," Mike said over his shoulder at her. He was at the signup table sorting out when everybody would be performing. Nini could've sworn her heart stopped beating for a second when he called her name, her eyes darting back to Ricky and his friend.

Nini darted around the corner and crept up to the signup table.

"Take over for me for a couple minutes, will you? I need to go to the bathroom," Mike said.

"Sure," Nini nodded and proceeded to take over.

—

Of course, Mike took his goddamn time and a nini had the vague suspicion that her boss was on more than just a potty break.

Ricky and his friend were next in line now, with only a nervous-looking teenage girl and her shabby guitar case separating them from the table.

After working for him for almost a year, Nini knew Mike well by now. He was the last person to play matchmaker, but if she hadn't known better than she would've thought he'd taken a page from Gina's book and done this on purpose.