14. Ricky's sister's birthday

They spent all afternoon walking around the little trails, still in perfect view of the playground regardless of where they were. After a while Maya finally decided she wanted to go and play with the boys, so Nini and Ricky got a chance to be alone together.

"Are you doing anything for the Easter weekend?" Ricky asked, swinging their hands back and forth.

"No, it'll be pretty quiet," Nini shrugged against Ricky's arm. "I'm pretty I'll be up at the crack of dawn on Sunday though, I can tell you that much. Xavier usually wakes up extra early to see what the Easter bunny got him and then there's no way of calming him down for the rest of the day after that, especially once he starts eating the chocolate..."

Ricky chuckled, "Sounds like most kids."

"Yeah," Nini agreed, smiling up at him.

"Are you going to be spending time with your family?" Ricky asked. She already knew a bit about his two sisters and the handful of niblets (what he calls his nieces and nephews), but he hadn't heard much about her family.

"No, we're not very close," Nini sated and by the sound of her tone Ricky realised she obviously didn't want to talk about them. So family is a sore subject with her that should probably not be brought up again for a while - that's a good thing to know.

"My sister's gonna be turning thirty-five on the same day as Good Friday this year," Ricky said a little cautiously, trying to keep things light and casual. "We're all getting together at my parents for lunch, if you and Xavier would like to come too...." he trailed off.

"You want me to meet your parents? Next week?" Nini gaped up at him.

The grin on Ricky's face disappeared as quickly as it came.

He shrugged, "I just figured, there's gonna be an Easter egg hunt for the kids and a lot of other games and stuff Xavier might enjoy. But it's really not a big deal if you don't want to come."

Nini was quick to interject, "No! I do! It'd be great to spend the day with you and you family. It's just that when you're a girl meeting the parents of the guy you really like it's kind of big step. And when that girl has a kid..."

Ricky knew where she was coming from, but he didn't see the big problem. He couldn't imagine his parents not liking her and he certainly couldn't imagine them not liking Xavier.

Heck, she's already met his dad and he loves her.

"We still have all of spring break to figure things out. You don't have to go deciding anything just yet. Just sleep on it, let me know when you've made up your mind."

"Okay."

"Okay," Ricky repeated, stopping them in their tracks as they made their way back to the playground. He let go of Nini's hand and brought it up to the side of her face. He tipped her chin back and kissed her briefly. He hadn't done that all day and he really wanted to.

Nini looked over his shoulder at the playground, "Maya is staring at us," she told him with an embarrassed giggle swatting him away.

She didn't actually want him to stop though. When Ricky made an attempt to put a bit of space between them, Nini grabbed his arm and tugged him back to her side. She wrapped her arm around his waist and he draped his arm around her shoulders.

—