The Challenge (Part 3)

Beep! Beep!

My eyes jolt open and I reach to hit my alarm clock. Only its not there. I sit up quickly and check my surroundings. Jared's house. The memories of last night flood my mind and I jump out of bed. I look back to see a sleepy Jared stirring at my sudden movements.

"What's going on? Is there a fire?" He asks, yawning.

"No you dweeb, it's time for school and I have to sneak back into my own house," I rant. I grab my clothes and purse, rushing out the door. I fly down his stairs and let myself out. I look down quick to find myself still in his shirt and my leggings.

I run out in his lawn and across to my driveway. My feet skim over the front steps as I enter the house. My mom still thinks I'm at Zamora's house, so I have to be quiet. I rush up the stairs and into my room.

I throw Jared's shirt off and grab a simple pink shirt and a black leather jacket. I put on some new leggings and run to the bathroom.

I take a second to look at myself in the mirror. My brown hair is a mess and I have bags under my eyes. I blush a little knowing that Jared has seen me like this. To think about how we were pretty much spooning all night, brought a smile to my face.

I put some mascara on and comb out my matted hair. I run into my room, grabbing my school bag and glance at the clock.

8:15

Crap. Now I'm going to be late. School starts at 8:30 and it takes me 15 minutes to walk there. I quietly tiptoe down the stairs, careful not to wake my mom. I start on my way out the door and down the street.

A roar filled my ears and I turn around to see a familiar truck pull up beside me. The window rolls down revealing a smirking Jared.

"Need a ride?" He asks.

"I hate you," I say, through gritted teeth. I walk around the front of his truck and hop into the passenger seat.

"No you don't," he smiles.

"Drive," I roll my eyes. He drives forward and within a few minutes we're at the school. He pulls up to the front and a bunch of people turn their heads in our direction.

I sink lower in my seat, not wanting the attention. I start to wish there was a black hole in the seat that could swallow me whole. Jared parks and I hurry to get out of the car. People are crowded around the truck blocks no my exits.

Suddenly an arm snakes around my shoulder as Jared puts his arm around me. He walks me to the door and opens it for me. What is he doing?!

I grip the strap of my bag tighter and I feel a blush creep along my face. I quickly rush to my locker, avoiding the weird glances and whispering in the halls. I casually grab my books and head to class.

*************************************
"He DROVE you to school?!" Lydia screams in my ear as I slam my locker shut. It's lunch and I haven't seen Jared since this morning, but I've been getting glances and whispers seem to follow me everywhere.

"Yes," I grumble. Turns out news spreads quickly and all my friends already know about this morning.

"Why are you acting like it's not a big deal!" She squeals.

"Cause it's not a big deal," I say. She stops and her eyes go wide.

"I can't believe you right now," she says.

"Hey over here!" Zamora calls us over to the lunch line. "Are the rumors true? Did you really walk in here with Jared Smith? If so, why? Is he into you? Is there something going on between you two?" She throws questions at me.

"What?! No! I don't know what happened, okay! Can we just leave it?" I grab a lunch tray.

"Leave it! Are you kidding! This is the most exciting thing that ever happened to us and you want us to drop it?!" She screams.

"Yes," I reply.

"But, we want to hear everything," Allison pipes up.

"Ugg. I not hungry," I state and put the tray back leaving the line, disgusted with my friends. I just want them to stop talking about it and move on with their lives. I mean it wasn't that big of a deal was it?

I go to my locker and take out my science book that I have to study. I shove it in my bag and slam my locker shut.

"Hey kitten. What you doing?" A voice dripping with sweetness says in my ear. I jump back and look up at Jared who is towering over me.

"Leave me alone," I growl.

"Aww, but don't you remember your challenge," he smirks. I can see people start to gather around us in the corner I my eye.

"No," I said not knowing what he was talking about. He leans closer so it's just me who can hear him.

"Don't you remember saying something about his people like me never pay any attention to people like you. Remember how I said I'd prove you wrong. Well I'm going to do just that," he gives me his devilish smirk and chills run up and down my spine. My throat goes dry and I freeze. More people have gathered around, including my friends.

"What do you think your about to do?" I ask.

"I'll show you," he smirks. He steps closer and his blue eyes burn into mine. It's a look that grown familiar to me and I suddenly know what he's going to do.

"Don't you dare," I whisper. He just smiles. Shit.

He cups my face and pulls my lips to his.