Chapter Ten

KARL POV
"Where might this man have taken her?" The police officer in front of me asked, and I thought. I remembered Ethan telling me of what happened the one night when he'd taken Y/N to her house. "I think I might know. I can take you there?" I asked, and the officer nodded. And so we got on the road, me leading them to Y/N's house. When we got there, there were no cars in the drive way, but the front door was wide open. The cop, who came with two partners, went inside with them. Jimmy and I waited by the cars. When the officers reemerged, they looked slightly concerned.

"What's wrong, Officer?" Jimmy asked, and the first officer stepped forward. "There was a large metal rod inside the house, along with some heavy boot marks. But other than that, it was empty." I was a bit surprised, and a sense of dread creeped up in my gut. "Empty?" I asked. "No one at all is there?" The officer shook his head.

"Do either of you have any idea where else Y/N's father might have taken her?" I shook my head, and Jimmy did too. The officer nodded. "Our forensic team will be doing a full investigation of the house. Anything they find can help us try to figure out where Y/N is. Is she a minor?" I shook my head. "Alright," the officer took down some notes. "We'll be putting up a missing person alert." I nodded, and Jimmy did too. The officers went on their way, and Jimmy and I started our drive back to the recording site.

"Relax, man." Jimmy said to me. "The police will find her alright." I barely heard him though. I was too focused on wondering what Y/N's father could be doing to her.

Y/N POV
We drove almost nonstop, even through the night. My father and his "friends" would rotate driving turns, so each could sleep so as not to fall asleep at the wheel. We stopped once or twice at a gas station, and if either my mom or I left the truck, my father or one of the men would keep such a close watch on us that we'd never be able to get away. I quickly learned that the two men carried handguns, which only made me all the more sure to do what they said.

Now I stared out the window, at the fast approaching large sign. When we got closer, I saw it read Tennessee, The Volunteer State, Welcomes you. I was a bit surprised. When my father said we'd be leaving the state, he wasn't kidding. My father and one of the other men started talking.

"So where's your buddy's house?" He asked in a rough tone, and the man responded in kind. "A few miles in. Next stop, let me drive and I'll take us there." My father nodded, and I cast a glance at my mother, who was seated beside me on the opposite window. One of the men separated us, and I had to crane to see her and expression. She was staring out the window, her eyes glazed over with a mix of emotions: fear, anger, regret. I felt a rush of my own anger at my father, for controlling our lives the way he was. Why couldn't we just live in peace? Why couldn't he leave us alone and go ruin someone else's life?

A low, husky sounding cough interrupted my thoughts, and I realized the man between my mom and I was glaring daggers at me. My anger gave me some strange confidence boost, and I glared back with equal malice.

"What's your problem, buddy?" I said. The next thing I knew, my head was impacting the window with force, and stars danced in front of my eyes. I squeezed my eyes shut in pain, feeling dizzy and queasy. When I opened them, the man was still glaring at me.

"Shut up, you little dimwit," he all but growled. "If you want to be conscious when we get where we're going." He lifted his top slightly, exposing the glinting medal of the gun secured in his belt. I took one look at it, then looked away. A snicker from the front of the car let me know my father was aware of the whole interaction, and he loved it. I clenched my fists, feeling the bump forming on my head as I stared out the window.

The rest of the ride was silent. At the next stop, my father and the man upfront switched places, and we began driving to what I assumed was the house we were going to. I watched as the rural landscape slowly transformed into houses and small stores. We were soon driving through a residential area, with rows and rows of houses surrounding us on both sides. Turning a bend in the road, we emerged a large, fenced in park. There was alley way leading beside it, and we turned into it, the stones crunching beneath the car.