Chapter 4

So I've been having trouble coming up with chapter names so I'm just going to use chapter numbers instead.

My heart, if possible, sank even further. "Did h-he say where he was going?" I asked, my voice shaking. I tried to keep the threatening flow of tears at bay. My mom nodded slowly. "He said, 'I'm going home, have a nice life.' Then he walked out." I almost felt like I would throw up from the feeling of pain and dread that was slowly working its way through my bones. My mom opened her arms, and I practically threw myself at her. We embraced, giving each other comfort as best as we could. I guessed I didn't need to stay away from home now. I mentioned this, and my mom practically begged me to stay. I knew I needed to be there for her, and so I quickly went outside to explain to Karl that I wasn't staying over at his place.

When I told him what had happened, he gave me a sympathetic look. "I'm so sorry, Y/N." He said. I shrugged, trying not to cry again. "It's-" I stopped. I was going to say 'it's okay' but I knew that was a lie. Karl offered to drive me back to his house so I could get my car, and so I accepted. Once we parted ways and I was driving in my own car back home, I tried to imagine what we would do now, with my dad out of the picture. My mom had no job; my dad had been the main source of income, with his hig-paying job giving him good wages.

I got home, and for the rest of the evening, I just sat in the living room with my mom, talking about our past, and giving each other hugs every time we cried. I'd given up on trying *not* to cry at this point. I knew it was best to release the pain than to keep it bottled up. It was close to 10:00PM when my mom and I finally gave each other a final hug and went our seperate ways to go to bed.

I was laying on my bed in my dark bedroom, almost drowning in the sense of utter anguish and pain that I was feeling. I almost instinctively went into my contacts, clicking the second name on the list. Karl, of course. I quickly shot him a quick text, not expecting an answer at past 10:00PM. Hey are you still up? I was so sure I wouldn't get a response that I nearly jumped when my phone buzzed. I looked at the message, which was from Karl. Yea. You ok? I quickly typed back, More or less. Actually no. I'm far from okay.

I saw the three typing dots come up a moment after sending that, before a message appeared a few seconds later. I'm sorry :( is there anything I can do to help? I waited a moment before replying, I'm really not sure. I think I just need time. There was a brief pause before he responded. Okay. Just remember I'm here if you need. :) I smiled, texting back Thanks :) I'll keep that in mind. Karl was always there for me, and I found comfort in knowing this fact. I knew I would be needing his support more than ever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was about a week and a half later when I was sitting in the office, handing a camera to one of the editors. We had spent the entire day and the previous one filming, and all the footage needed to be given to the editors before we left. Once I'd done this, I headed down the halls to the door. But as I was passing one of the many doors in the hall, Karl seemingly magically appeared from the room this door lead to, and I very nearly collided with him. I managed to stop short, just as he looked up, apparently slightly startled. "Oh-Y/N. I was just looking for you." He said to me. I eyed him slightly, nodding slowly. "For…?" I prompted. He looked a little flushed as he glanced down, then back up again. "I actually was wondering if you wanted to take a little walk in the field outside the office. It's a nice evening, and I'd hate to be seen out there alone."

I smiled at his request and nodded. I hoped a nice walk would take my mind off the recent events. I had been working extra hard since my dad left the previous week, and had constantly been stressing, and crying about the whole situation. Hopefully, a nice walk would do the trick to make me feel better. Karl gently took my hand in his as we headed outside. As we went, I took a moment to glance over what he was wearing, as I'd surprisingly not noticed the entire day. He had on jeans, that had small tears in the knee, plus a pale sky-blue hoodie with the Beast lightning logo across the front. The sleeves of the hoodie were long, and the covered his hands slightly. All this, plus his messy brown hair, was absolutely perfect to me, and I felt my heart do a tiny jump.