𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

CHAPTER THREE:ONE LAST HUG

CHAPTER THREE:
ONE LAST HUG

SHE COULDN'T SLEEP THAT NIGHT. The thought of having to kill her best friend when the sun arose the next morning was killing her. She couldn't do this. She couldn't. But she had promised Katrine that she would make it a fair fight, whether she wins or loses. She got out of her bed the next morning, pulling on her clothes, and brushing through her blonde locks. When she exited her room, she made her way to the dining hall, grabbing herself a bite to eat, wondering where it was that Katrine was at.

Liliya knew that this was really happening. A sigh fell from her lips as she finished her food, throwing away her trash before making her way down the hall only to stop when she felt a presence behind her. She closed her eyes for a moment before turning around to see Katrine standing there, a knife placed in her hand.

"No training?" Liliya asked, keeping the emotion from her voice.

"Might as well get it over with, right?" Katrine swallowed thickly as she nodded her head. "I just. . . one last hug yeah?" Liliya didn't know if this was the truth, or if it was just a trick. But either way she didn't care. She nodded her head and walked towards her, the two hugging each other tightly. Karine put her mouth to Liliya's ear before whispering, "See you on the other side, Lils."

And then, the fighting started. They were two of the best children there, and they knew each other's fighting patterns, constantly causing for them to miss each other's punches or kicks that were thrown. They were both in survival mode, knowing that neither of them were going to come out of this alive. Katrine swiped her knife at Liliya who was quick to duck under it, taking her own knife and slicing at Katrine's side, actually managing to draw blood.

Katrine let out a hiss, taking a step back as she placed a hand on her side before looking at Liliya. A look passed between the two of them, and they gave one another a silent nod. They knew that there was no turning back now, that this had to be done. And whoever won, there would be no hard feelings. It was inevitable for one of them to die, and although it was something that neither of them wanted, they knew they would never have the chance of escaping this place unless they did what was asked of them.

Katrine lunged once more and Liliya was quick to grab her wrist with the knife in it, trying her best to twist the knife from her grasp, but Karine took her other hand, punching the woman in the stomach before quickly kicking her backwards, causing her to tumble to the floor. Liliya was quick to roll out of the way when Karine lunged the knife at her, the blonde quick to spin on the floor and kick Karine's foot out from under her, causing for the brunette to drop her knife. Liliya was quick to dive forward, catching the knife before quickly jumping up from the ground and spinning around just as Karine pulled herself from the floor, holding her fists up in front of her whilst Liliya spun the two knives in her hands.

It was in this moment that Karine realized that Liliya was going to be the last one standing. The blonde was meant for great things, and if anyone deserved a chance out of this life, it was her. Karine let out a deep breath, blinking as she looked at her friend before being the one to lunge once again, knowing exactly what the out come would be. It was like second nature to them all, and she knew that once she went forward, one of those knives would be stabbed right into her side. Because that's how they were taught to react in a situation like this.

The blade went through her skin like a hot knife slicing through butter, and a gasp fell from her lips as Liliya ripped the weapon out. Realizing what she had done, Liliya looked down at her with wide eyes. Blood started coating her lips, and a tear made it's way down her cheek as she offered Liliya a sad smile, grabbing onto the blonde and nodding her head.

     "It's okay." Karine nodded her head, choking on her own blood. "It's―︎It's okay."

     "I'm sorry." Liliya whispered, her voice cracking. "I'm sorry."

     Swallowing thickly, Karine nodded her head. "I know. I know." She adjusted her grip on Liliya, feeling herself start to battle her last breaths. "Second drawer. I need you―︎I need you to check the second drawer." She let out a violent cough, before closing her eyes and nodding her head. "Do it."

     "No―︎"

     "You promised, you promised. Fair―︎fair and square." Karine met her eyes, and she smiled before closing her eyes in acceptance, and like Karine had requested, Liliya ended it. She fell to the ground, Karine still in her arms as she softly sobbed, her forehead pressed against Karine's. She had just killed her best friend.

She carefully laid Karine on the ground, kissing her on the forehead before wiping away her tears and forcing herself to stand up. She clenched her jaw as she looked down at her best friend, her dead best friend, before turning on her heels and walking away. Entering Karine's room, she opened the second drawer to find a note inside. She held the paper in her hands, shaking her head, before finally opening it.

     Dear Lils,

                         If you're reading this, it means that you won, and I have lost. It's the way it was always supposed to be. You know, when I first saw you enter, a scared five year old that hadn't a clue how drastically her life was about to change, I wanted to protect you. You were the youngest out of everyone, the most vulnerable, but that's not why I decided to talk to you that day. There was something special about you, the way you held yourself, that told me you were going to be important one day. I just didn't realize you were going to become important to me.

                         I wasn't expecting to become friends with anyone in this hell house, but you were so kind, you were quiet, you were the exact opposite of me. And well. . . they do say opposites attract. That day was the best decision I ever made, and this was my second. I knew as soon as we were the last two, that you were going to win. I may be more violent, and I may find the sight of blood a lot easier than you, but I'm not going to make it in this world. You are.

                         So, I cheated. I didn't eat, drink, train, I made myself weaker than you so that you could win. I know I said fair and square. . . and in my book this is fair. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but sadly it is. I couldn't live with myself if I had killed you, you're too good for this world to not to live in it, to not make a change. You're going to make a change, Liliya Petrova, that is something I can promise you. I guess what I'm really trying to say, is thank you. For taking a chance on me, and for just being you. Never for get me, yeah?

With all of my love,
                                       Katrine Llarona

With all of my love,                                       Katrine Llarona