Chapter 25

During the way home, butterflies raced through his stomach. He didn't understand why he'd never realized before how adorable Adam was; how nice it felt to stand close to him, how perfectly their fingers fitted, how the corners of his lips couldn't resist curling up whenever he heard his soft laughter. For the first time in his life, he had a boyfriend, and the feeling was overwhelming, especially because he'd told himself he could never have a relationship for a long time. 

As soon as he was home, he went to Maddie. While barely taking the time to breathe, he told her about this afternoon and night; that Adam asked him to be his boyfriend, the soap art, the fossils — every other person wouldn't be able to understand him, but Maddie was used to his rattle and knew how to pick out the important things.

"I'm happy you gave Adam a real chance," she said, "but please, be careful with him. And uh — well, what about your feelings for Emilio?"

It felt like she emptied a bucket of ice water above his head. Emilio. He sat down on the edge of her bed and summarized the day before; how they'd almost kissed and that he had gone home when Emilio kissed a girl right under his nose, and how Emilio had searched for him. He admitted that he'd confessed his feelings for him and that Emilio had turned him down, even though he claimed to have feelings for him too. 

Maddie didn't say much, even though he did give her room to respond this time. 

"What's your plan now?" she asked eventually. "How will you act around Emilio now you're in a relationship with Adam?"

"I don't know," he said honestly. "What do you think?"

"Maybe it's smart to create some distance between you two."

Rory suppressed a sigh. He felt the urge to protest, but he knew she was right. Admitting that out loud however was a whole different story, and in the end, he muttered that he would think about it and went to his room. 

His good mood was gone. He flopped down on his bed, which only frustrated him since he could see Emilio sitting on exactly the same spot, while Rory knelt before him, confessing his love. 

"I like you too. Since I met you two weeks ago, I can't think of anything else. I told Juan — that I met someone and that I can't get him out of my head."

He closed his eyes, he could still feel Emilio's fingertips on his cheek. He shivered. 

"I want you. I want you so fucking bad, Rory."

"But not bad enough to give it a chance," he muttered. His fingers caressed his cheek where Emilio had kissed him. He could still feel his lips. Clenching his fist, he rubbed his skin as if he could erase the action. It didn't help. It felt like he could even still hear Emilio's breathing. He forced himself to think about Adam, on his mouth upon his, the caress of his tongue, his skin beneath his lips. When the images weren't dominant enough, he grabbed a pillow and threw it against the wall. 

He didn't want to think about Emilio. He was an asshole, a selfish dick. Adam was so much nicer, why did these thoughts about Emilio pop up at all? The nagging feeling in his chest however didn't go away. He pulled his phone out of his pocket, opened WhatsApp, and sent a text to Adam, hoping to get back the pleasant feeling he had earlier this night. 

I miss you. I wish you were here. :x

The corner of his mouth curled up when he got a blushing emoticon in return. 

I miss you too. Do you want to have dinner tomorrow? I can cook for you? (: 

From the corner of his eye, Rory saw his pillow on the floor. He felt guilty for the feelings the memory of yesterday had called up. Even while Adam didn't know anything about it, he had the feeling he had to make things right. No, I'll take you out tomorrow. (: