Chapter 39

Emilio had put his hands deep in his pockets. It really needed to happen now. He'd sent Mateo a text asking if he could come over and he'd received an affirmative answer. He was not looking forward to the conversation, but the conversation with Rory yesterday had made him a little angry. Although he was not happy with Mateo's meddling, he understood where it came from. At first, he'd not intended to say anything about Jonathan, but even though he was not happy about the whole situation with Adam and Rory, he thought that Jonathan was an asshole and needed to dial back a little. Emilio might not have been a big fan of homosexuals in the past either, but if Juan had come out of the closet, he wouldn't have shown him the door.

Except for the bedroom door.

Emilio repressed that thought.

Just then, Mateo stepped into the lobby.

Emilio walked up to him, though he wasn't sure how to greet him. Normally they hugged each other, but since the last words they had spoken to each other hadn't been very friendly, he didn't know how to act.

Mateo didn't care about that, though; he slung an arm around him and pulled him close. "Thought you were going to stay angry forever," he said.

"I'm still angry."

Mateo chuckled. "You're hot when you're angry."

Emilio glared at him, but the words still made him feel uncomfortable.

"Come on, let's get something to drink." Mateo laid an arm around his shoulders and led him toward the bar.

Wavering, Emilio walked along, wondering if he would still be so amicable if he knew what Emilio had come for. Nevertheless, Emilio hoisted himself onto a bar stool next to Mateo. There were only two others at the bar, so the bartender approached them, and Mateo ordered two beers.

Mateo let his gaze slide over Emilio's face. "You look like shit man."

"Thanks," Emilio murmered.

He felt like shit, too. He did not attempt to disguise that.

"How's your boyfriend? Is he still with that dull kid?"

"You trying to figure out if Rory dumped his boyfriend after you fed him drugs?" Emilio scowled. "No, he didn't. We decided it's better not to see each other any more."

Mateo stared at him. "Seriously?"

Emilio shrugged. "I'm not here to talk about Rory."

Only about his shitty former friend.

"And also not to bitch about my behavior, I hope?"

Mateo's sharp tone caused Emilio to take a big swig of beer. "No," he then said. "I um - I wanted to say that I moved in with Juan on Monday. Saturday,he said a room had opened up so I called that landlord the next day."

"Yeah, Juan told me."

Oh. Emilio didn't know what to say.

"You're a jerk. All the apartments I visited were for two people. Why live in a frat house when you can live in a decent apartment? Is all this because I think your Rory is a bitch?"

Uncomfortably, Emilio peered at his glass. "It has nothing to do with Rory."

"Right. Then what the fuck is up man? You've been acting fucking weird since I got out."

Emilio shrugged. "It has nothing to do with you."

That was true. It only had to do with his own fucked up feelings.

"Well, then you better tell me what the hell's going on."

He clamped his jaws together.

"What happened between Juan and you?"