Chapter 14

"How long do you plan to stay?" With a cup of coffee in her hand, Alex sat down across from him. 

"Thought you'd kicked me out by now."

"I considered it. But I also like having someone around who cooks for me and keeps my house clean."

He scrunched his nose. "I'm not a fucking maid."

"It sounds fancier than being my whore."

He glared at her.

Smirking, she pried a Wheat Thin out of its package. "Hey, I'm not your homie. I don't care that you're broke; it doesn't mean you can claim half of my apartment for free."

"Fine," he grumbled. It wasn't like he had a lot of other options. "As soon as I got my salary I'ma find something else."

"Ain't gonna be easy. You're gonna need three paychecks. My roomie's coming home in six weeks, so you've gotta be gone by then."

"I will."

Not that he knew where to go. Mateo was the only alternative he could think of, but he really didn't know how he felt about sharing an apartment with him. The prospect that he'd be released from prison within two weeks already made him nervous — while he never used to be nervous. 

He stared at his coffee. "Thanks," he said eventually. "For letting me stay."

If she'd come to him, he never would have let her stay. 

"I like people who owe me something," she said in a grin. "Especially when they hate it."

Emilio clenched his jaw. He should have known she didn't do this out of the kindness of her heart alone. 

. . .

By nightfall, Emilio's phone screen lit up. His stomach cramped up when he saw Juan's name. For a moment he considered ignoring him, yet he knew he couldn't avoid his best — and only — friend forever. 

"Hey," he muttered. 

"Hey," a soft voice sounded. "I uh — I wanted to ask if you got a place to stay tonight."

"Yeah. Went to Alex's place last night. She lets me stay."

Silence fell. Emilio knew his friend well enough to imagine his frown. The last time Juan had seen them together, they'd been beating the shit out of each other in the ring. "Oh. Okay."

Another awkward silence fell. Emilio had no idea what else to say. How should they proceed from here? 

"Can I stop by tomorrow?" Juan asked. There was a nervous shiver in his voice.

"I don't know," Emilio muttered. 

"Please?" He whispered. "I — I can't lose you, E. I can't lose you too. Ev—"

"You won't lose me, Juan. It's just... my head's a mess."

"Let me help you. This is my fault."

"It's not. Not yours alone." He heaved a deep sigh. "Okay, stop by tomorrow. I'll text you the address."

"Thank you," he said in such a soft voice Emilio could barely hear him. He sounded so defeated it caused a stab in his chest. The fear to lose someone wasn't coming out of nowhere, he realized. "Did you tell Dana?"

"Yeah," he muttered. 

"And? How did she respond?"

"She was shocked. Sad. I don't think she'll ever trust me again."

"Of course she will. It just takes time."

"I don't know if I'll get time. I'm not sure she still wants me."