Chapter 10

Somewhere during the night, Emilio must have fallen asleep, for he was startled awake when he heard someone puke. On any other day the sound would've made him smirk; today, it didn't. It was probably Juan and he didn't want to see his friend. He wouldn't know what to say to him. He was sure his friend regretted last night. What would he think of him? Emilio should have told him he was talking shit and that he should go to sleep; instead, he'd let Juan suck him and he had done the same. How fucking insane must one be to do such a thing?

The water was turned on and Emilio sat up straight, his hands restless in his lap. More than ever he felt uncomfortable because he didn't even have his own room. Yesterday he'd toyed with the idea to share a house with Mateo once he got out of prison, but now he knew he would never do that.

The bathroom door opened. Juan was only wearing boxers, his face was pale. The way he squeezed his eyes told Emilio he had a hell of a hangover.

Emilio muttered a greeting, although he doubted it reached his friend's ears. Nevertheless, Juan noticed him; he froze.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck. There was a stab in his stomach. From now on, everything would be awkward; he'd fucked up everything.

"Holy shit," Juan said in a hoarse voice. He walked over to the couch and stared at him with wide eyes. "Did I do that?"

Emilio had no idea what he was talking about. "What?"

"Your face... Did I kick you out of bed last night? Is that why you're here? I only remember some fragments of drinking on the roof terrace."

Emilio stared him in the eye. "You don't remember anything else from last night?"

Juan pulled a face. "No." He sat down on the couch. "But I do have a hell of a headache. Damn — it must have been a good night." He paused and bent his head. "Although Dana is mad at me. So I was probably a pathetic mess and drank too much."

Emilio didn't know what to say. He didn't remember. He didn't remember. It was a huge relief — but he himself remembered everything.

"Was I really a bitch tonight?" Juan asked. "Seriously, E — did I hit you?"

"No," he muttered. "That was Alex. She didn't like my attempt to get into bed with her little sister. I decided to lie here because — because, well I dunno. It was weird. You and me in one bed."

He didn't dare to look Juan in the eye. What if he would soon remember something? Would he believe that it was a dream?

"Hmm, I can't imagine I would've made a big deal out of it." He shrugged his shoulders. "Hey, you wanna come with me to visit Mateo?"

Being in one room with both brothers — it sounded like a nightmare right now. He didn't trust himself anymore; he feared having more disgusting fantasies, ending up with a hard one there.

"You should go alone," he muttered. "It's been a while since you've spoken to your brother. Spending some time together will be good."

"It's more fun when I don't have to go alone," Juan insisted. "It's a 90-minute drive!"

Emilio gritted his teeth. How could he talk himself out of this? He never said no to Juan...

"I wanna go and see Jip," he lied. "Sep freaked her out when he barged into her room yesterday, I wanna make sure she's okay. And maybe you should talk to Dana too."

"If she still wants to," he muttered. "She hasn't answered a single text." Juan rubbed his face and sighed before getting up. "I'm gonna take a shower. You can take a nap in my bed? I doubt you had a lot of sleep on that couch."