Chapter 29

Adam and Rory went downstairs when someone told them the first act was about to start. Adam didn't feel very comfortable; he had the feeling he could feel Emilio's gaze scorch his back. He however didn't dare to look in his direction; actually, the guy scared him. Although he'd barely spoken to Emilio, he couldn't think of a boy who was more different from him. The thought that Rory liked them both, confused him. He however tried not to think about it too much. He had given Rory another chance to go for Emilio, but that option hadn't even crossed his mind. It gave him a bit of confidence. Yet, there was a slumbering fear inside him that Rory would change his mind. Adam wanted to be more assertive, and although he used to avoid alcohol, he took a mixed drink this time when Rory led him to the makeshift bar. He wanted to be cool. How nice would it be if he no longer felt insecure, if others would think he was fun too? If he no longer stared at his feet when he was surrounded by people that intimidated him? 

Sipping from the sweet drink, he turned towards the stage. A girl had started to sing, accompanied by a piano. It was a beautiful, slow long, convincing him that Grace and he would fit in pretty well. 

"She can sing very well, huh?" he said to Rory. 

He felt a knot in his stomach when he saw that his boyfriend wasn't looking at the stage; his eyes were wandering through the room. Was he looking for Emilio? Or would the boy feel so bad that he would stay outside for the rest of the night? Even though Adam knew he couldn't change much about the situation, he did feel guilty. He remembered Mateo's words: that his friend just needed a little more time to deal with his feelings. Should Adam be the one taking a step back? Was it wrong to want Rory for himself? Was he selfish? 

The questions consumed him to such an extent that he barely caught Rory's answer. With a hesitating smile, he tried to create the impression that he'd heard it. Rory smiled back. He looked happy; the doubts plaguing Adam didn't seem to bother him. 

Adam put his glass away, stood behind Rory and wrapped his arms around his waist. It felt nice, holding him, showing everyone that they had feelings for each other. Despite Mateo and Emilio, he didn't feel threatened, contrary to the time they went to the bar together. Rory's thumb stroked his knuckles while he lazily leaned back against his chest. With the boy he loved in his arms, he waited for the next song, hoping it would be something romantic. 

. . .

Emilio missed out on the first act, but thereafter he had gone downstairs and drank something strong to numb the stinging in his stomach. He saw that Juan and Dana were kissing passionately—the last thing he wanted to see. Instead of going to his best friend, he went to Mateo, purposefully standing with his back to Rory so the boy couldn't see how awful he felt after seeing them kiss on the roof. 

The next act started; a red-haired girl climbed up the stage—a shy girl that happened to be Juan's roommate. 

"This is gonna be interesting," he said to Mateo, a slight smirk on his lips. "I shared an apartment with her for almost a month and I barely heard her talk."

"Maybe she can only sing." Mateo chuckled. "Or maybe she can't do that either." He raised his eyebrows as the girl stood still, staring at the audience with a pale face. "Or maybe this is gonna be a song for deaf people."

Emilio laughed. 

Mateo smirked and whistled on his fingers. "You can do this girl! Just pull down your top; we'll howl for that too if your voice sounds as ugly as your face looks."

The girl froze. She stared at them, tears welling up in her eyes. Quickly she jumped off the stage and ran away. 

"Damn..." Mateo said. "I thought there were adults living here, but that kid is clearly hormonal."

Emilio chuckled. "I don't get why someone who panics so easily gets on a stage anyway. Well—missed out on another awesome show."

"You're assholes," an angry voice said behind them. 

Fuck. 

"She was very brave for trying, even when she was nervous. Contrary to you two, she at least tried."

Emilio turned a little more to the side. Nervously, his eyes shot from Mateo to Rory and back. He could feel that Mateo was getting worked up because someone dared to criticize him, and Rory's anger was so present the air was almost crackling with electricity. 

"People without talents shouldn't get on a stage in the first place." Mateo's voice sounded indifferent, but something dark churned in his eyes. 

"Some people have stage fright. That doesn't mean that they have no talents," Rory answered. 

"Whatever. We were just joking."

"Nobody but you two laughed about it," he answered fiercely. 

Emilio avoided Rory's disappointed glance. He had no idea what to say. Actually, he believed that Rory was exaggerating but he said nothing about it.

"Well, someone has to entertain the audience," Mateo huffed. "At least I made somebody laugh. Fucking hell—are you too stupid to recognize a joke? This is the second time you're flippin' out because of a fucking joke."

"Gloating isn't my sense of humor," he answered in a growl. "Just go home if you only mean to make people feel worthless. You're no longer in prison. People don't have a shell around them and you ruined someone's evening who did nothing to you."

From the corner of his eye, Emilio looked to the side. He felt tense and was ready to intervene when they would start fighting. 

"Well—thanks a lot for your unwanted opinion." Mateo rolled his eyes. "You better go gear up loverboy. The next one boring me to death will get a rotten tomato in his face. And that wuss of yours—"

"Calm the fuck down!" Emilio snapped when Rory was about to launch himself on Mateo. He stepped forward, keeping the guys apart with his arms. Softly, he shoved Rory away. "This is pointless dude," he murmured. "Just walk away. You made your point."

Rory looked at him, and the look in his eyes broke his heart. 

Again. 

"You were wrong," Rory said, his voice emotional. "Maybe you don't deserve me, but he sure as hell doesn't deserve you. He's like poison and if you can't see that, you will never change."

Then, Rory tore his arm loose and rushed away. 

. . .

Rory laced his fingers with Adam's and looked him in the eye. He tried to shake off the anger that he felt because Emilio had practically sent him away. He understood—it probably had been pointless, but he wished that Emilio had pushed Mateo away, instead of him. 

The feeling of hatred was new to him, but the longer he was in the same room as Mateo, the tenser he felt. Was it jealousy? Because Emilio wanted his older friend, but not him? He shouldn't care—he was with Adam now. Nevertheless, it was hard not to feel disappointed. 

"Are you very nervous?" he asked, partly to distract himself. 

"It could be worse." However, the corner of Adam's mouth was quivering, and Rory had the feeling he wanted to act tougher than he felt. 

 "Good," he said nevertheless. "I will be at the front, just look at me. And if these assholes are rude again, just try to ignore them. It's just a cry for attention."

Sep announced the next act and Rory leaned towards his boyfriend to give him a brief kiss. 

"Good luck!"

Adam nodded, squeezed his hands and stepped away from him, whereafter he entered the stage, together with Grace. 

Adam wasn't the only one who felt nervous—Rory was restless too. He was afraid that Mateo would yell something stupid again, just to piss him off after their argument. The last thing he wanted, was Adam's confidence getting another blow.