In Which Paul Wears Shorts and John Loses His Mind

Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock, just as John's morning shift began, Paul walked in holding a bouquet of flowers and a grin on his face. But best of all, he was wearing shorts.

In 80 degree weather, it's perfectly normal to wear shorts, but John was utterly delighted to see Paul's legs, in all their hairy glory.

In addition to Paul's delightful shorts, he also wore a blue tank top, which of course made him look hot, because blue was his colour. It exposed his freckled shoulders, which John decided he liked very much.

"Hello Johnny," Paul smiled, handing him the flowers with a flourish. "Geo grew these in his little community garden patch and I stole some to give to you."

John grinned, his face slightly pink. "Well, in exchange for these lovely flowers, you get... coffee! You guessed it folks, John Lennon, coffee shop worker extraordinaire gives Paulie McCartney a pipin' hot cuppa!" He said like a game show host, trying to make Paul laugh.

It sort of worked. Paul giggled and smiled at John for a while.

Then, the most terrible thing that could've happened, happened.

Another person walked into the shop, intruding on his and Paul's time.

The guy was kinda cute, but nowhere near Paul level.

He got in line behind Paul and coughed loudly as John and Paul whispered in hushed tones about the guy. Paul moved out of the way to sit down at one of the stools by the counter.

"I'll have the- woah hey, you're hot!" The guy took off his sunglasses and smiled in a way John assumed was supposed to be flirtatious. "The name's Stu. What's yours, love?"

John glanced over to Paul, who was glaring daggers at 'Stu', his whole face red with anger.

"John."

Stu smirked, "Well John, what do you say; you, me, Friday?"

John pretended to think about it, "Hmmm... not a chance in hell!" He said cheerily.

Stu raised an eyebrow, "No? Why, cause of your little friend over there?"

"Yes, actually," John said, not looking at Paul.

"Pfft, I bet he's the one who got you those flowers, sissy twink," Stu scowled.

"Don't talk about him like that!!" John furrowed his brow.

"Why the hell not?! What's he gonna do, slap me like the girl he is?"

Without thinking, John punched that bastard right in the nose. And fuck did it hurt.

Paul immediately went to John's aid, "Shit, Johnny are you okay?! I'm sorry I didn't do anything, I didn't know what to do-"

"Hey, hey, calm down," John ran his uninjured hand through Paul's thick dark hair. "I'm okay, you're okay, we're all okay. I mean, except that fucker," John chuckled, watching as Stu regained consciousness and hurried over to the napkins to wipe up the steady stream of blood coursing out of his nose.

"You broke my nose!!" Stu exclaimed, holding the napkin up to his nose.

John shrugged, "You shouldn't've insulted him."

Stu tried to swing a weak punch back at John but missed by a long shot.

"Dude, what the fuck," Paul said, "Just leave already."

Paul grabbed John's hand, inspecting it thoroughly as Stu grumbled something and went out the door, still holding his nose.

"Bet you didn't expect to break someone's nose today, huh Johnny?" Paul laughed, running his hands through John's hair.