13. [Also, a word of advice.]

"Alright, Luce, here's the deal," Barry signs, very sternly, "we are helping them, but together with all the older people. We are not doing anything alone. Got it?"

He's quite persistent on the 'no heroing' rule he's set up for himself, and Luce honestly finds it amusing.

Well, for one, Barry ain't gonna be no hero saving the world like that strange lady Cynthia said. He just wants to be a strong trainer, maybe win the League once or twice, then go right on and do what his dad's doing.

(Well, E for Effort, at least.)

"I'll try," Luce tells him.

"You're supposed to say yes, Luce!" he snaps out loud, exasperated.

A few people turn toward them in surprise at the sudden yell, so Barry zips himself from there. They weren't going to let the adults hear their dumb conversation.

"Unfortunately, we cannot allow you to pass," the Team Galactic Grunt at the front door says. It's much more polite (and thus much more human sounding) than anything they've said before, which is quite surprising to Luce and Barry. "Please extend a call to the respective departments for any inquiry regarding our appointment policy."

But then again, perhaps they were programmed to say things in those polite sentences altogether, for posterity's sake. They were, after all, the front door.

"In that case, I would like to speak to your manager," Gardenia demands with a straight face, and Luce tries his best not to laugh.

"Luce?" Barry asks.

"Nothing nothing nothing," he insists.

"I said, I would like to speak to your head of staff personally because you obviously don't know what you are doing! Where is the manager?!"

Luce has to excuse himself. He can't take this.

-

Outside, Chimchar is seeing how many times he can poke Starly before the bird Pokemon loses his temper. Starly has pecked him twice, but Chimchar only whines loudly about the new injury for a moment before he tries again.

Luce liberates him from that duty before Starly could try a more lethal Wing Attack.

"Was it really that hilarious, Luce?" Barry asks, coming out of the building after him in exasperation.

Well, if they can't get in either way, there's not much of a point in staying with the adults.

The Team Galactic Grunt seems to be politely refusing everything, so he probably won't accept or initiate a Pokemon battle. And if they attack first, he won't defend himself, and due to that, any injuries would be legally classified as an assault or siege.