31. [Veilstone City. Hewn from Rock.]

"Are you sure you don't want to rent a Ponyta Walk?" Lucian is now very unwilling to let Luce go anywhere unsupervised. "It's quite a travel toward Veilstone."

Luce isn't too sure how he ended up being princess carried by a Lopunny, but it's comfortable and keeps his hands free to fiddle with his Pokedex, so he's not complaining.

Lucian sighs when Luce raises a thumbs up.

"You guys protect him properly this time, hear me?" he says, toward the Pokemon.

Monferno makes an offended whine, raising Togepi over his head as Togepi glares. Duskull also makes an offended noise, though he's facing the wrong direction because Luce's bag strap is pulled over his eyes.

Psyduck's head droops sleepily, and Snover smacks her over the head. She whines, and Snover sneers. Monferno goes between them with the baby to break it up, swinging Togepi around like the baby was a Pokemon Repellant.

Lucian sighs at the sight.

"You've got a ways to go before you're all a coherent team," Lucian chuckles. "I'll leave you here, then. Make sure Luce gets plenty of rest."

Lopunny huffs an approval.

"And of course..." Lucian picks up a disc from his pouch. "The Technical Machine I promised. I'm sure both Duskull and Psyduck can make use of this."

A soft pink CD. Psychic, the most reliable move of this type, at least before the next regions developed new ones.

Luce beams, signing out a word of gratitude as he tucks it away.

-

Lucian sighs as he waves to send them off.

Then he reaches for his communicator.

"...I really underestimated this kid's ability to get into trouble. Aaron's never going to let me live this down."

He tucks the Pokegear between his cheek and his shoulder, rustling around his bag.

"Hey Aaron? I found the things," he raises a stack of slates, magenta, indigo, and dark green. "According to the data, these are the Mind, Dread, and Meadow Plates..."

This was a fun little detour toward a time off, but alas, it's time to go back to work.

-

Lopunny puts Luce down among some Budew, tells him to sit, puts Togepi in his lap, and then leads the others in the team to battle Wild Pokemon and Trainers looking for a challenge.

Luce has no idea how he's been demoted to baby of the pack, but it's very intriguing.

"Are you seriously not giving them any instructions?" a pair of twins come by to meld into the Budew pile with Luce, hugging Psyduck like a huge plush toy as the duck snores. Luce nods noncommittally, watching as Monferno and Lopunny engage in a Double Battle with a Ranch girl and her father.