24. [Next time, you won't be so lucky.]

Jokes aside, Luce and Barry meet up in the staircase in the centre of the building, just briefly out of sight of the nearest patrol at the bottom of the stairs.

They've dealt with the chum on the upper floors, but unless there was a way to deal with the guards outside and downstairs, there was no way to really escape.

For now, they should work on securing as many guests as they could to prevent them being used as hostages when the police arrived. Oh, the captured Pokemon too.

"It's a big hall, so we can't sneak down without being discovered," Barry says, a little miffed.

"Then don't?" Luce suggests, and Monferno beams.

Barry stares, incredulous. "I really need to let you see those adults ASAP," he grumbles. "You're insane."

"That's not a no," Luce cheerfully informs Monferno, who enthusiastically celebrates.

He reaches for his Poke Balls, retrieving Munchlax, letting out Prinplup and Ponyta. Luce retrieves Buneary, setting her on his shoulder, and lets Psyduck out.

"Water on that side?" Luce suggests, pointing in the direction he's sure leads to Mister Backlot's office, since there were more people there.

"Fire on the other," Barry sighs.

Luce dishes a hand out, and Barry raises his hand. At an internal count to three, they leased out their moves for a round of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Barry wins.

"I'm taking the waters to the important-looking room."

Luce pouts. He wanted to see the Manaphy egg.

Luce doesn't get to protest, so they immediately leap down, sliding partially down the railing with their Pokemon at their sides. Barry's lands strategically, his foot coming down on the unprepared watch grunt, knocking him to the ground and out.

...oh, so that's where Spitfire learned it.

Immediately, the two of them part ways, assigned Pokemon dashing ahead. Monferno's already taking a running kickstart at the nearest person that reacts. Ponyta isn't falling behind either, those notoriously diamond-hard hooves promising fractured bones and concussions at every turn.

Luce opens the room doors, finding more guests. He sighs in relief, though they're alarmed by his presence. He's not wearing the grunt uniform, but they're still wary.

So he takes out his Pokedex, and suddenly, they seem to understand.

The other doors were locked from outside with what looked like bug-type string. A little fire was enough to take care of it, though, and he hurries to unlock the other doors, surprised when a Happiny jumps out of one room.